"Mixed Meter" a Hook original

Started by Hook, July 23, 2014, 08:32:03 AM

Hook

Mixed Meter
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Wife & kids are gone for a few days & I have a quite house. Wrote this short, quirky mixed meter tune on uke  yesterday. Did the rest this morning, it goes back & forth from 6/8 to 7/8. All the effects, uke/bass/vocals are all from the line 6 pocket pod, I did the 2 arpeggio ukes simultaneously, line 6 in & an on board mic.

1 effected uke arpeggio
1 clean uke arpeggio
1 lead uke
1 bass
1 vocal (stereo)
1 drums (stereo)
Mixed Meter
written & performed by Hook

I cannot seem
to get into synch
I'm out of time
I missed a blink
Now behind
Must quick think
But I drag the beat

The keeper of time
With minimal skill
My meter is mixed
My tempo is off
And I missed a fill

I cannot seem
To syncopate
The rhythm is right
But my timing is late

chorus

I fumble and I Ramble
Structure falls to shambles
The simple patterns
 I can't handle

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

djbride

I really like this "quirky" song, I listened to it a few times because my ears
just want it to settle into one time sig and I kept waiting for it but it doesn't come
and that makes it original. The ukes mixed together have a real island sound to them.
I love how you "make fun" of the song with the lyrics and the vocals are outstanding
as always.

Overall a great song but it does take a couple of listens for it to grow on you.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1049425

"Rock is dead they say, Long Live Rock, be it dead or alive"    P. Townsend

Blooby

Loving this! What's the effect on the main rhythm uke? It sounds almost ring modulator-ish.

Redler

Sounds a bit psychedelic, which is nice thing! Well done as always! The bass line is awesome!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

allysonmarie

I like how you managed your vocals around the music. The lyrics and sound click perfectly for what's being told.

bruno

Damn this is some crazy timings going on here brother. Listened to this last night, lying on the grass in the dark in the garden, trying to stay cool - I have not idea on these unusual timings, I guess you have to fell rather than try and count it. I love the conversation with the listener through the lyrics, very cool track :-)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Geir

Loving it!!!!

Fantastic musical journey

I'm a fan
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Satchwood

Yes i think this a cool psychedelic-ish melodic adventure, cool singing and lyrics and special fx!!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Jarle

This is fabulous, I love the time signatures, you make them flow so naturally - well done.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Tangled Wires

This required a three or four listens for me to get my head round it, lots going on with the time signatures changes, and it is extremely impressive that you managed to work out a vocal melody to fit the music... and a bloody good one at that!

I like the stereo effect on the vocal, kind of adds an a further dimension of psychedelica to the songs sound.

The finish with the chorus and the intensified vocal was a cool touch.

Different in a very good way!

recorder
Boss Micro BR