Slidin' on Home - The Ferryman Way

Started by Ferryman, March 20, 2009, 03:41:55 PM

Ferryman

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

Well, I've never done anything like this before but this site has inspired me to have a go. Greeny put some great vocals on a backing track which filled up a lot of space, so there wasn't too much to fill with solos. Even so, I still cheated a bit by playing a piano solo in the middle... I also added a bit of extra rhythm guitar.

A bit rough and an annoying noise at the end that I didn't quite get rid of, but see what you think.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Good one.  You were just getting warmed up by the end. That last solo is dynamite, smooth, grooving, great bends, really great tone.  That is the blues.  You sound like Gary Moore there.  Great job for someone who has not played blues much before, really great job.  8)

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

Ferryman you have definately got the blues 8)
 Great take on great track.......

SE

Well done everyone involved sounds amazing you can,t beat a bit of well played blues. Greenys vocal and Liryics top drawer and Nigel piano and guitar very talented indeed.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Kody

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ferryman

Thanks for the kind words guys! This really was a step into the unknown for me but it was fun. I've not listened to much blues before, and I've never spent much time practising solos. But after being on here for a while I've been listening to more and more of the great blues work posted on here. It was this track in particular that really sparked my interest. I like the feel of the backer but it's long one, and I was amazed when Witchita, Bluesberry and Forte8 started posting stuff with fresh and interesting solos throughout the whole track. Really got my respect and encouraged me to have a go on the "shorter" version.

Bluesberry, thanks for the comments, the last solo was going well until I overreached myself - started a run down but got lost and you can hear the "oh shit" moment when I hit a bum note and start to think "where do I go next". But it sounded ok overall.

Side effect, I cheated on the piano - I just brought up the backing track to make it sound like a solo! There was too much space to fill with my limited lick repertoire!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on March 21, 2009, 01:37:36 AMSide effect, I cheated on the piano - I just brought up the backing track to make it sound like a solo! There was too much space to fill with my limited lick repertoire!

Cheers,

Nigel
cheers-it works great

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

At 167 there is one of the most beautiful controlled Trills I have heard Big Respect 8)

aswhad

this great blues ,probably better than 40% on cd,
in my opinion that is  ;)

Wiley

It's fun to listen to all your interpretations of this song!! They are all great.  Good thing it's in fun would be hard to judge something like this.