Vote for the July/August 2014 "Theme/Genre" festival

Started by 64Guitars, June 25, 2014, 12:15:09 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from July 1 to August 31. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on June 30th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Theme/Genre" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Artists/Covers" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=21376.0

Please vote in both polls.

As always, we encourage you to write an original song for the Theme/Genre festival, but covers are welcome too where appropriate.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

• Bluegrass - See this Wikipedia page.
  • NewsFest - write a song inspired by current events in the news. It doesn't necessarily have to be heavy stuff like wars, murders, politics, etc. It could be lighter topics such as the World Cup, entertainment news, etc. Or you can cover a song that was inspired by news stories of the time. For example, "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats was inspired by a story that was in the news at the time.
  • RemoteFest (was "Live In A Great Natural Place") - inspired by this topic. The idea is to write a song about a place and to record the song live in that same place. Or you can record a cover of a song about a place but you have to record it in that same place. The location needn't be famous or distant. You could go to your local park or even your own backyard, as long as the song is about the location and is recorded live in that location. And your post must include pictures of the location taken on the day the recording was made.
  • Famous First Line Fest - Use the first line from an existing song to write your own new song.
  • Atmospheric Fest - See this message and this Wikipedia page.
  • songs with words that don't rhyme - Pretty obvious. Write an original song where the words don't rhyme. Or do a cover of a song where the words don't rhyme, if you can find one (there probably aren't many).
  • bawdy songs - See this Wikipedia page.
  • original prog epics no longer than 3 minutes long - self-explanatory, I think.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

I like the choices. I could see doing three or four of them easily. Changed my vote once already and I'm gonna stay away so I don't change my mind again.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

A couple of changes to "Live In A Great Natural Place". The name is too long and awkward, so we've changed it to "RemoteFest" because any recordings made outside your home studio are remote recordings (actually, "field recording" might be more accurate in this case but it's harder to work into a catchy festival name).

Also, the location doesn't have to be "natural". You can record your song at any location outside your home as long as the song is about the location. For example, you might want to go to the train station and record a song about the station and/or the trains. Or maybe you could go to the local sports arena and record a song about a local team (your kid's team, for example). Of course, "natural" outdoor locations are still welcome too. The park, your backyard, a forest, the seaside, the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, etc.

And you can do a cover instead of an original if it's appropriate for the location. For example, you could go to a local river and record a cover of Neil Young's "Down By The River" or "Take Me to the River" by Al Green/Talking Heads. I'm sure you'll think of lots of other possibilities.

Don't forget to take pictures. If you're concerned about privacy, you don't have to include yourself in the pictures. Just take a picture of your recorder and/or instruments with the location in the background. Or you could include yourself with your head cropped out, as people often do on YouTube. Of course, if you want to include your smiling face, you're welcome to do so.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

guerrillafest.  Or   Locationfest

Or ..... Newsfest which is my personal choice.

I love the festivals!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Voting closed. The winner is...