The Blindfold test

Started by peterp, June 21, 2014, 11:22:28 PM

peterp

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

64Guitars

Interesting. It shows how much we're influenced by appearance, marketing, brand names, etc. If we could learn to ignore all that nonsense, we'd probably be perfectly happy with inexpensive guitars like the Squires. If you can't tell a Squire from a Custom Shop when blindfolded, how can you justify the difference in price?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

I think this is very important to think about. If you value looks then spending more on a custom shop guitar may be worth it. If you value playability ONLY then maybe not.

But what they didn't do was plug the guitars into one amp with one setting and try to decide which was the expensive one vs the inexpensive one based on sound. And ultimately for guitar players it comes down to making music, or at least it should.

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

peterp

Bit of a sound comparison between a Fender butterscotch reissue and a Classic Vibe vintage blond telecaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6BWbSMiNS0

Difference between the classic vibe vintage blond and classic vibe butterscotch are the pickups.
Yes the 2 colors in the classic vibe series have different pickups, the only real difference between the models.
The vintage blond has alnico III custom and the butterscotch has alnico V custom pickups.
So I suspect the blonds output is a bit lower than the butterscotch version.

Only way you can really tell how they sound and play is to go into a shop and try them out.
It's hard work but someone has to do it!

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

SteveB

I prefer the Squier. Mind you, if I had £1200 quid to spare!  :o
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

T.C. Elliott

I like the tone of the reissue better, but I don't dislike the tone of the classic vibe. I have a chance to buy one, but just can't seem to pull the trigger. I've never owned a tele-style guitar and I'm in the market for a good used one or super cheap new one. I suspect I should have been a tele guy all these years.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Groundy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs