Facemask not well

Started by A K, June 20, 2014, 04:07:47 PM

A K

Hi,

I know that there has been other members that have recently died (Tony Jones) or are seriously ill (Neil Swanson), and my thoughts go out to them and their loved-ones. However I thought that I should let you know about Robbie. He loves this site, and is in awe of all the talent that oozes from here.

Last spring, he separated from his wife, moved to a small rented house, and proceeded to set-up a music studio in the spare bedroom. He splashed out on a drum kit (he always wanted to play drums), plus some guitars and equipment. He was in "music heaven". He met a lovely lady, Belinda, that summer, and life was complete.

Belinda lived in the New Forest (just under 2 hours drive), and they met up every weekend. Earlier this year, Robbie had a skin melanoma removed from his back. Tests showed that the doctors had not got all of it and he went back for further surgery. He was given the all-clear, and was to have 3 monthly check-ups. To ease the situation, Robbie was going to move down permanently to Belinda's place.

In mid-May, Belinda was up here for the weekend, helping Robbie clear-up the rented house. We (Tina and myself) met up with them for a meal. We did the usual routine, starting with a pint in the Penny Black pub (Rob's favourite) and then on to the Italian restaurant where he had his usual large bowl of mussels in a wine-garlic sauce. Robbie mentioned that he would soon be moving down to the New Forest. He would find work down there. He also mentioned that he was determined to do some live open-mic nights in the deepest depths of the New Forest (he never quite managed to perform live around here, but it was a burning ambition).

We got back from holiday at the beginning of June, to hear from Robbie that he had already moved down to Belinda's place. He said that he had severe back pain when packing up for the move. Off to the doctors, who referred him to a physiotherapist, who in turn referred him back to the doctors. After some tests, they discovered that Robbie had spinal bone cancer. They said that this was a secondary cancer, and he needed more tests to establish the primary cause.

This is the point where Robbie asked me for a song, and I refurbished the "lads night out" song to cheer him up. I sent the song to him on Saturday, and expected a reply straight away as Robbie always has his phone near him. Still nothing on Sunday, until late that night when we received a call to say that he was in hospital. Apparently the pain killers had knocked him out earlier that week. Belinda called an ambulance, only for Robbie to wake up in the back of the ambulance and started joking with the paramedics. Back home again that same day, but his health continued to deteriorate over the weekend. He was diagnosed with pneumonia and taken back into hospital.

His health was very poor. A few of us, who played guitar with Robbie, went down to see him on Thursday. He was still very groggy and had difficulty in conversing. But he did show signs of his old self, so we are hopeful for a good recovery.

They are still doing further tests. With some strategic therapy in place, possibly including chemotherapy, Robbie and Belinda should be able to share a few good years together.

We wish them all the best.
AK and Tina

kenny mac

My goodness,just seen this and I'm stunned.
I have always admired Robs work so much and he is a pure gent.
Always had a great comment from him and he always gives plenty of encouragement.
I'm sure I speak for all the guys and girls on the site by wishing him a speedy and safe recovery and personally speaking my prayers and thought go out to him and to his good lady.
Thank you for letting us know,he is a big part of our musical family x
Kenny

Blooby

I thank you for the update. I I can safely speak for the entire community in saying we wish Rob a speedy recovery. Good healing vibes sent your way. Once this thread grows (and I'm sure it will), please share with him.

Bruce

cuthbert

I am a bit stunned by this news…thanks for letting us know, AK. Rob, I hope your therapy goes smoothly and you're out and about again soon. All the best: you and your family & friends are in my thoughts.

Joe
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Tangled Wires

Having listened to "Lads night out" this evening and reading the reason why the song was being posted, I was fearing that news such as this would be coming.

I wish you all the very best Rob, and each and everyone of us within our close knit little musical family I am sure will be rooting for you to make a speedy recovery.

You mention that he is in awe of the talent on here...well he, for me, has always been one of the shining lights in this respect.

Andrew

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

wish Rob all the best from me. i was so disappointed that he missed getting to Norway (by the narrowest of margins) last year.

and that myself and some fellow songcrafters never got to meet him. so tell him i'm raising a glass of coke and brandy that he makes it to the next meet.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

thetworegs

Thoughts are with you Rob hope the treatment goes well and your back creating soon....

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

SE

Thoughts going  out to one our top songcrafters, just get better all the best.
recorder
Boss BR-80

T.C. Elliott

Please let him know we are all thinking about him and wishing him the best. Our thoughts are with him. Thank you for the update. It is greatly appreciated.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Bluesberry

Quote from: Tangled Wires on June 20, 2014, 04:43:42 PMYou mention that he is in awe of the talent on here...well he, for me, has always been one of the shining lights in this respect.
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, music just pours out of you Robbie, a true musician.  Get yourself well and keep on keeping on........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand