GAS and the levels of peace in the home.

Started by peterp, June 16, 2014, 10:51:04 PM

peterp

Update, I did not win the line-6 dl4 I bid on, but I did buy a telecaster,
so my new mailing address is in the dog house for a while.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Flash Harry

Ok, I will share this, but you're all sworn to secrecy, agreed? Ok.

So I had an American deluxe Jazz in my sights, black with white pick guard, rosewood fret board, lots of dosh.  So I looked for a squier version for not much cash. Got the agreement from the GAS brake, and paid not much.

After a month or two, swapped the squier for the fender. Result? Not a peep from the GAS brake, heaven for me.

Recently, the same technique worked fine for a strat.

Right. You're all implicated now.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

64Guitars

Quote from: Flash Harry on June 22, 2014, 03:21:00 PMSo I had an American deluxe Jazz in my sights, black with white pick guard, rosewood fret board, lots of dosh.  So I looked for a squier version for not much cash. Got the agreement from the GAS brake, and paid not much.

After a month or two, swapped the squier for the fender. Result? Not a peep from the GAS brake, heaven for me.

;D "GAS brake"  :D  Good one!

Do you find that the Fender American is noticeably better than the Squier? If so, could you tell the difference blindfolded?

See this topic: https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=21358.0

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

IanR

I've got a Squire Strat and an American Standard Strat. 

I'm fairly sure that I could tell the difference if blindfolded. First of all, you can feel the difference. Then, the sound is much louder and clearer from the fender.

However, I may have the advantage of knowing these two guitars very well.

I'll record a comparison and post it back here in a day or two.

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

T.C. Elliott

Set ups can change the character of a guitar as well. I have my own little GAS fund. As long as I don't bring in too many toys at once then I'm pretty much Golden. It helps, though, that I buy inexpensive toys. Under 200 bucks a pop, generally. Headphones, midi triggers, mics, everything is generally inexpensive. I might save up for a custom guitar, though. Maybe.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

AndyR

Concerning, "better"...

They (the two guitars) will definitely feel different. Whether you can tell which is the expensive one in a blind-fold test is another matter. It'll probably be down to which one feels more like what you're after when you play them.

I must admit, I have no American Fenders... mine are all Mexican or Japanese. In my case, the Japanese ones seem generally "better made" and easier to play, but... (and this is a big BUT!) ... the Mexican ones feel a lot better and usually help deliver better performances and sounds!!! (They're all set up for me, by the way, and remember I've owned them all for ages now and none of them have a more "special" place in my heart than any of the others... they all get used).

On the "gibson" side, I have several American Gibsons and a couple of Japanese things of a similar nature, most notably a rather gorgeous Tokai Love Rock (a "Les Paul"). The Tokai is easily my most "easy to play" and possibly therefore the "most well put together" of all my guitars... but it gets played the least. When you touch them, the Gibsons have a lot more character, feel warm/alive in my hands, have a more "open" sound (both before and after amplifying) and they encourage a lot more expressive performances. I tend to use the Tokai when I need a higher level of accuracy and ease of playing.

(Oh, by the way, personally I leave the pickups out of the equation when I judge these things - I buy "boo-teek" pickups and they get swapped around in guitars until I find where things work best for me.

PeterP - I notice you got a Classic Vibe Tele, nice one! Congratulations :) (hope you've still got all your essential body-parts!!)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

IanR

Quote from: Flash Harry on June 22, 2014, 03:21:00 PMSo I had an American deluxe Jazz in my sights, black with white pick guard, rosewood fret board, lots of dosh.  So I looked for a squier version for not much cash. Got the agreement from the GAS brake, and paid not much.

Flash,

I'll be quiet if you tell me if the Squier was a good buy for someone like me who needs a cheap bass for the studio.  I have not played a bass before. 

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

peterp

Is it a Squire Classic Vibe series, or one of the other Squire series like the Vintage modified or affinity series?
The Classic vibes seem to be Squires top end and are very well made, for the most part.
You get what you pay for still does annoyingly apply.

Long shootout between the different strat series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnUuUjqHEMU

Quote from: IanR on June 22, 2014, 08:47:55 PMI've got a Squire Strat and an American Standard Strat. 
Ian

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

peterp

Thanks!
Mostly still intact and surviving by agreeing to visit all her relatives over the coming long weekend.
(The horror, the horror.)

Quote from: AndyR on June 23, 2014, 01:10:10 AMPeterP - I notice you got a Classic Vibe Tele, nice one! Congratulations :) (hope you've still got all your essential body-parts!!)

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

bazz-t-bass

Ian..........I have both a Squier 5string JB and a Squier PJ bass...........both are very good for the money especially pre-owned from E-bay.

I have a current soundfile on original strand (called Slipaway) which features the 5 string.(flat wound strings)

Regards

Bazz
recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Boss BR-600

WHAT IF? the hokey cokey is really what it's all about????