By the time we got to Woodstock...

Started by hooper, June 10, 2014, 08:40:22 AM

hooper

Mrs hoop and I went last week to The Bethel Woods Center for the Arts.
 http://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/

The site of the 1969 Woodstock festival.  ;D

Around 2006 that part of Yasgars farm was bought by a billionaire philanthropist and a permanent museum was set up there.  The original concert field is left intact, there is a museum and a new outdoor performance place for concerts.  The museum is dedicated to presenting and explaining (to future generations) the history-changing social, cultural, political and musical events of the 60's. They have done a bang-up job and this is a world-class facility!  When we were there one of the traveling exhibits was on The Beatles.  

Then, down the hill from the museum is the site of the Woodstock festival.  The topography is truly a naturally shaped ampitheater.  It was awesome to stand there, remembering the movie, pictures, music and imagine what took place there. Strangely, in a similar but very different way it reminded me a bit of standing and looking over the battlefield at Gettysburg.  Looking over the field, the flat gravel area on the left is where the stage was built on and 'the bowl' is the grassy area at center and right.

There is a fellow there by the name of 'Duke' who they say came to Woodstock, and never left. We got a pic made with Duke and later found a couple of pics by some other Bethel Woods visitors you may recognize...

Was a heckuva fun visit!  :)

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

T.C. Elliott

I didn't realize that the land had been preserved. I figured there was still cows all over it. I love the music from that era so a museum or a tribute is a grand idea. I doubt I ever make that far east, though.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

cuthbert

Not too far from my neighborhood…

Looks like a nice peaceful spot, and how cool is that to have met one of the local legends?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Blooby

I need to go at some point.  My girlfriend used to work in the area, so I'm sure she could act as tour guide for the area for me.

Great pictures.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

thought i already commented on this. early onset again methinks. was great you got to meet the fab four ken.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

fenderbender

Great pics -great visit -
thanks for sharing
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Greeny

Hooper and the Beatles - now there's a good fit! Sounds and looks like a great day out :-)