Cabin Fever or Gear Acquisition Syndrome?

Started by Blooby, March 19, 2009, 07:31:13 AM

Blooby

I was abruptly called away from home due to my mother's health.  She is doing better now, but I want to be near, watch over her, etc.  I am on day six of ten.  Having said all that, I am now stir crazy.  Cabin fever.  The moogly-wooglies.

No BR.  No guitar.  TV not doing it.  Limited reading material as I tore through the two books and "Classic Rock" magazine I brought in nothing flat (bought a history of heavy metal tome as a diversion).

I am thinking of going to a local store to buy a Kaossilator by Korg.  I have no business spending money right now, I know little about the unit (other than it belches quite a bit), but I need a diversion. 

Cabin Fever or Gear Acquisition Syndrome?  You make the call.

Help...

Blooby

Greeny

Sorry to hear about your mother - hope she gets better.

I think you're just missing music. You could get a Kaossilator (it's a good excuse at least!!!), or you could get a harmonica and find some online tutorials for it. You need to lose yourself in something creative by the sounds of it. Hang on in there  :D

Ferryman

Kaossilators are KOOL, get one! Great fun, lots to explore but you will kick yourself for not having the MBR. You could create some great work in a cabin with just a Kaossilator and an MBR. Now there's the ideal holiday!

Hope your mom recovers and you don't have too hard of a time dealing with her illness.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

hewhoiscalledj

Blooby,

I hope your mother gets better soon. If she needs cheering up, perhaps we could all collaborate on a fun and light hearted mp3 to speed her recovery. Behold the power of quirky music.

Since you seem to have an internet connection, you may want to experiment with free versions of programs/sequencers like FruityLoops. There's also a free drum machine that I've had some fun with called Hammerheads(z?)  Or, you could spend hours reading and learning about the art of recording or check out gear reviews at http://www.tweakheadz.com  It has to be one of the greatest websites out there right now next to Google, Wiki, this forum and http://www.jguitar.com

Or if you have the dough to blow at the store...  ;Dhehehe... why not?!

Blooby

Thank you for all your supportive words.  My mom is doing better.

On another note (many actually), I did end up getting the Kaossilator (bank balance be damned!).  I went to a corner of the music store and just fiddled for a few minutes.  I had a one of the s###-eating grins, so I went for it.  Now I just have to see if it ends up in the cabinet full of music stuff I don't use but refuse to sell.

I'm still in Cocoa Beach, FL with my mother, but foresee scary and out-of-character musical opportunites either in the ambient or techno realm (with heavy doses of guitar of course).

Peace.

DJ Blooby

Greeny

Quote from: Blooby on March 20, 2009, 07:19:46 AMThank you for all your supportive words.  My mom is doing better.

On another note (many actually), I did end up getting the Kaossilator (bank balance be damned!).  I went to a corner of the music store and just fiddled for a few minutes.  I had a one of the s###-eating grins, so I went for it.  Now I just have to see if it ends up in the cabinet full of music stuff I don't use but refuse to sell.

I'm still in Cocoa Beach, FL with my mother, but foresee scary and out-of-character musical opportunites either in the ambient or techno realm (with heavy doses of guitar of course).

Peace.

DJ Blooby

Cocoa Beach is lovely! Been there a couple of times, and combined it with trips to Ron John's Surf Shop. You made me look at the Kaosillator... and now I want one too!!!!! I even dreamed about it last night!  :D

Flash Harry

Stop stop stop!
I managed to get into and out of the local music shop without buying a kaosillator, I was really well chuffed but your discussions have begun to weaken my resolve and I really NEED a Korg R3.

Good your Mum is making progress Bloopy, I hope she continues to do so.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Get a Kaossilator, you know you want to. FWIW, the string sound on Cassilda's Song was done with the Kaossilator. I'm toying with getting a mini Kaoss pad as well. A guitarist friend of mine has put a full sized Kaoss pad into one of his guitars a la Matt Bellamy. That is waaay cool.

Blooby, we may have to start posting Kaossilator duels. Or even duets!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I really want to do a Kraftwerk / Gary Numan / Heaven 17 'electronic' album....

Ferryman

With an MBR, Kaossilator, Micro Korg and a floppy haircut and you can. Or at least a dour expression and a German accent.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR