Tascam DP-006, Recording with an external mic.

Started by Tootler, May 30, 2014, 04:58:29 AM

Tootler

I'm wondering what's the best way of inputting from an external mic with a Tascam DP006

The DP006 has two 1/4" inputs and my mics all have XLR sockets. There seem to be two possible alternatives.

1) I have a small mixer with XLR inputs and I could use that, pan the mic hard one way and take the output from the appropriate mixer output channel to the DP006 with the input set to line in.

2) Get a XLR to 1/4" adapter or XLR to 1/4" cable (I've seen XLR to 1/4" TS adapters and XLR to 1/4" TRS cables not sure which is best)

What are the pros and cons of the two options above? Are there others I've not thought of?

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-006
recorder
Audacity

Hook

You could also buy a cord that runs xlr to 1/4 inch, I've found mine to be quite a handy cord. Adapters are cheap, but if your mixer has effects that might be your best bet + it's free. Also are you using dynamic or condenser mics, condensers need phantom power which I imagine your mixer has? Good luck.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Tootler

I have dynamic and condenser mics though my condenser mics can take an internal battery so phantom power isn't a problem though my mixer does have phantom power.

I was unsure about adapter vs XLR to 1/4" cable as the cable I saw has a trs (ie 3 contact) jack and I wasn't sure if that would cause problems with the input. I have a XLR to 1/4" adapter with a two contact jack which I got as I have a Vox Mini5 amp which also has a 1/4" mic input, though I've not tried it yet.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-006
recorder
Audacity