Chrome/Dragon Song #7 (a little different)

Started by dragonshade, March 18, 2009, 03:28:41 PM

dragonshade

ChromeDragon 7
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Music is such an interesting animal. This song has been "fighting" me for over a week. I mastered last night at about 10:00, after like 8 days putting it together... THEN started a new one right after.... 3 hours later the new one is nearly done also (will likely finish it tonight lol).

Anyway back to this one, #7.
This took turns of it's own during development. I'm on the fence a little on this one, and am really curious to see what you all think. It has a different feel, and is a slight departure from the others, though it is cool in it's own right. One minute I like it a lot, the next I find myself wanting to delete the song from the MBR  :-[

To me it has almost an Eastern, or Egyptian taste, my wife thinks I'm nuts though, and says it does not. Either way it is different, but a little the same. Please give me your input.

Kody

Dude, just listened to the 1st minute....DON'T DELETE!! Very Linkin Park- I found myself humming out a decent melody line ...I could see the music never changing throughout the song, but the melody of the vocals could be changed for like say a chorus- then back to the main melody for the verses- I've heard this done effectively before...I'll have to listen to it more, but I really like what I've heard so far!  I'm just busier than hell right now, but I'd like to give this one a go when I get a chance...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Wiley

I think it is quite a catchy tune. Don't delete it, Let Kody put some vocals to it. He's a great singer and I am sure he will come up with something great.

Ferryman

I like it, think it's got potential. The feel is a little different to your other stuff but in a good way and it would adapt well to vocals. And getting Kody to sing would be fantastic! I like the synth work on this, it has quite a bit of depth to it.

Couple of things I would think about. The start jumps in part way through some of the synth, a smoother start would be nicer. Also, when the guitar first comes in, the mix sounds a bit narrow and toppy. It opens up after the first guitar sequence when you get more synth in the left and right of the mix, and also there is a much stronger bottom end (bass synth?). The toppy guitar sound works with all added bottom end once it starts up. I'd be tempted to have a different guitar sound for the first guitar sequence - cleaner, with two guitars panned left and right. Then drop into the distorted guitar in the centre of the mix second time round.

Those rattly tom rolls still don't work for me ;) They sound too toylike and don't really fit the groove IMO, but perhaps they are part of the "club" sound (last time I was in a club was about 1989  :-[).

Keep em coming!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Kody

NO. 7 Kody
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Alright Dragonshade......What I have here is just a rough rough idea....Lyrics have never been my strong point. lol. I just put down some crap....if you like the idea, I could spend a little time and do a way better job with the words.  Also the vocals aren't gonna be sitting right in the pocket ;D~this was just a quicky to just get something back to ya.  I don't have much time, so I figured I should get something down, you know ;) If I can get some more time~ I'm confident I could do something alot better than this :D :D :D Sorry, I just a little embarrassed 8) I know I can get a better sounding track too~ please keep that in mind~ OK~ All I know is I don't want to screw up you guys' song~ :-[ ;) :D

Rough Rough Draft- Dragonshade/Chrome NO. 7sorry if it sucks!! I can do better :-[

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

dragonshade

Holy CRAP!!  :o ;D

Kody.... this is AWESOME! A perfect fit. WOW man... I really am floored! I mean exactly what I'm talking about.... you grabbed it and just nailed it!! As I had mentioned man, you've got total freedom... take any of them, make them your own, and this is amazing. As always I adore your voice, the vocals (which I had no idea about) fit flawlessly. You gained the highest praise from my wife I have seen.... she listened all the way through (rare indeed), and smiling said this rough draft is GREAT! (I don't get close to that, trust me that is MAJOR lol)

Please do not be embarrassed in any regard, this is exactly what I was hoping for vocally (listening again, DAMN this is good!). I can't wait to hear this even further refined. I've been meaning to PM you back, finally had some time and was online today, yet kept getting sidetracked. (Wanted to really sit and type ya know), anyway I'll do that next. What a SHOCK to see you just jump on this, made my day.

Man I love this... you wanted to work on originals...and this is vocally all your baby. This song is an original, and now you are co-writer/performer my friend... don't get much more original than that  ;) :D

Davo

This does have a cool middle east vibe to it, I can picture a belly dancer doing her thing to this.
Initially I envisioned a "phone voice" for this song(like your hearing someone through a telephone), however the vocals are very strong especially on the hook. 

Its cool to see and hear this process!
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Kody

pppppphhhhhheeeeeewww~ I'm so glad you like it!  I'm not so crazy about the start(vocals)- or both verses for that matter~ I'm somewhat satified with the "hook" as Davo says....The music is perfect IMO.....Thank-you so much for letting do this man! I'll start getting serious with it now 8)

I can do the "phone voice" ~ I'll see what happens....I've never done this before(collab), so this is my first!~ Very Cool ;D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

dragonshade

LOL Kody  ;) More than like it man. Personally I really like how the vocals come in in the beginning. Yes please work with it, but also check your messages (here)... I'm sending you a PM. I just went back in the MBR and exported a "clean" -nonmastered- copy as a WAV for you to download and work with. It will be a much better result and is pure (identical to how it sounds in my MBR). That way you can remaster the whole (with the vocals) at the end to get whatever result works best in your mix.

Hey we owe you the thanks for working with us man, we can get serious ya know  ;) 8)

Look out for the PM, should be there in a few.

Wiley & Davo... Thanks for the input. Well I'm really liking this track now lol.

Nigel... Heya buddy. Yeah I don't like the mid-note beginning either. This is the last track I did the wrong way (as we discussed earlier, mp3 compression), so I just let it go, along with the a few other minor irritations. I had no idea Kody was gonna jump on it and use it as bridge into a whole new area lol :). I'm hoping when I import it as a clean WAV it will start correctly. If not it's a flaw in the track, and Chrome will have to redo it. Though that might be really cool. Then with Kody's help we'll re-write/re-perform/record it over as a new construction. If we do that I'll play with some of your ideas. Any bass you hear is bass syth only. Sometimes I'll do a barre chord type riff with left and right guitars, and then add a second set harmonizing lower which thickens it up a bit (part of our sound) as there is no bass. In this track almost all bass syth drops out in the intro, (on the pure Chrome track), and I don't think I did the above mentioned on this. (Getting to be too many songs :P) Something about the feel seemed lighter... airy... so I left it. Also our stuff always builds so, and gets so thick I felt the change.

SE

Hey my friend great job you,ve done, like the lighter feel you,ve got going and more melodic too, nice change. Kodys vocal has added a new direction to your song, you can both be pleased, hope to hear it finished I,m sure it will be fantastic.
recorder
Boss BR-80