What size truss rod wrench for an RG series Ibanez electric guitar? And where?

Started by rythmking24, March 17, 2009, 03:43:57 PM

rythmking24

Hello,

I appear to have lost the truss rod wrench for my RG series Ibanez electric guitar, so i need to find another one. The problem is, I can't seem to find out what size wrench I need. I have also been around every hardware store in my town, to try and find a socket wrench like the one I had. I have found nothing that even resembles it, let alone one that is the right size.

It also has to be a very specifically designed wrench, slimline, with a peg- head, so that it can fit within the headstock of my guitar. I read, somewhere on the internet, that you can get this type of socket wrench at pretty much any hardware store. Well, this doesn't appear to be this case. I would be grateful if someone could give me some advice and/ or information.

Many thanks,

Steve.

StevieM

May be a silly question, but have you tried an Ibanez supplier ?:)
Can't help any more than that 'cos I haven't had one of those.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

StevieM

I'll keep an eye on this one, and if you don't have any luck I'll ask on a couple of luthier forums I'm on and see what I can find out.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Kody

Try Stewart Macdonald....or good ol' Ebay...I'm pretty sure there's a universal wrench that fits most all guitars.  One size fits all I think...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

64Guitars

A couple of suggestions:

• Hex wrenches are usually sold in sets for not too much money. So why not just buy a whole set and you'll have all the wrenches you'd need for any guitar? And they usually come in a handy plastic container or pouch so you won't lose them. I would assume that you'd need a metric set (sizes measured in mm rather than inches) for Ibanez guitars.
  • According to the Ibanez web page, the U.K. distributor is Headstock Distribution and you can send them a message on this web page. Who knows, they might mail you a wrench for free if you're lucky. Or, at least, they should be able to tell you the size.

Update: I just re-read your message and saw that you've already checked several hardware stores in town (didn't notice that when I first replied). Have you tried any bicycle shops? They often carry hex key sets. Here's an example:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewer.asp?categoryID=766

And here's a nice set from Maplin for £5.00. It contains all the sizes you're likely to need and comes in a plastic case:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223281&doy=18m3&C=SO&U=strat15

By the way, didn't you sell your RG, or am I confusing you with someone else?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

rythmking24

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 17, 2009, 09:13:04 PMUpdate: I just re-read your message and saw that you've already checked several hardware stores in town (didn't notice that when I first replied). Have you tried any bicycle shops? They often carry hex key sets. Here's an example:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewer.asp?categoryID=766

And here's a nice set from Maplin for £5.00. It contains all the sizes you're likely to need and comes in a plastic case:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223281&doy=18m3&C=SO&U=strat15

By the way, didn't you sell your RG, or am I confusing you with someone else?

cheers 64 guitars. that's most helpful. i did also try a few bicycle shops (halfords etc...) with no joy. i also tried a couple of auto spared places with the same result.

hahaha, well remembered. i did indeed part exchange my ibanez. but after recieving no fewer than three dodgy guitars from the same shop, i decided it was probably best to do business elsewhere. i'll tell you something aswell... only now do i realise just how good my ibanez is. abence makes the heart grow fonder... as they say.

cheers again,

ste.