GarageBand File Sharing with Others

Started by ODH, May 12, 2014, 08:22:51 AM

ODH

Seems to me that one of the things that GB should be able to do is facilitate collaboration with other GB users, so a number of individuals can work on the same track.  Damned if I can figure out how to do that though, if it's possible.

Anyone know how to do this (on iOS)?
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Flash Harry

There is an app. I will see if I can find it....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Hilary

It is possible but I'm doing this from memory, get the track in your itunes then add it to Garageband via ooh can't remember that bit and then in the track on GB it loads up via the loop sample icon (but it's not a loop).

if this doesn't get you very far - I'll have a proper look later.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Hilary

It's really easy - come on guys.

Make sure the file is in iTunes (on the ipad)
Go to the song you want in Garageband
Go to the display (where you add the instruments)
click on the rope (loop icon) next to the music note icon
select music
then drag the track into the song

Bob's your uncle!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

ODH

Thanks Hilary.

What I was meaning though was like what if a band wanted to have a track where the bassist could add the bass track, the guitarist the guitar part, then one of them could mix it and so on.  How could that track be shared so several people could work on it?

Like how would I share one of my songs with you so you can add a track and then I can have your track in my project?  How do I share my project with you so you can open it and work on it?  Without leaving GB or itunes.

Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

cuthbert

I don't use Garageband myself (yet), but perhaps this helps?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1181697

Basically, it's saving to dropbox, and then sharing the dropbox folder.

EDIT: Maybe the better way: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5203519?tstart=0  (check all the links there)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

SharksDontSleep

I currently share projects with a friend as part of a band called The Sea Cadets.

Basically we share the project (song) to iTunes, then plug the iPad into a windows PC & use iFunBox to extract the .band folder from the Garageband app, which I then upload to Dropbox.

He downloads to his PC then uses iFunBox to add the .band folder to the Garageband app. From there he does what Hilary mentioned above & makes a new song from iTunes sharing, to import my project.

We do the reverse when he returns it.
It's not the most transparent of operations ... But it works.
Apparently using iFunBox gets round the sharing of different Garageband versions, as sometimes he uses an iPhone.

Happy to give any more help if required.
8)

Hilary

Quote from: Nick_ODH on May 13, 2014, 10:57:31 AMLike how would I share one of my songs with you so you can add a track and then I can have your track in my project?  How do I share my project with you so you can open it and work on it?  Without leaving GB or itunes.

Yep that's what I meant too - you'd export the file (probs to soundcloud), I'd download it from soundcloud and upload it to iTunes and then follow my instructions to get your track into my Garageband.

Sharks iFunBox sounds like a great idea though!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

SharksDontSleep

Quote from: Hilary on August 08, 2014, 12:34:02 PMSharks iFunBox sounds like a great idea though!

My iFunbox is legendary ;)
The Windows app is quite cool too though. I had to have had iTunes installed for the drivers, but then just use iFunbox, as it's just simpler & quicker, if a little idiosyncratic ... But then again so am I ;)

Hilary

QuoteMy iFunbox is legendary ;)

Now you're just bragging!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça