Which Semi?.......

Started by The Reverend 48, March 17, 2009, 07:15:31 AM

The Reverend 48

I have so may semis going round in my head it was driving me mad ???
So I had to decide, like all things guitar based what I wanted was  beyond what I could afford or justify (it always seems to be the way)
So after much deliberation I have gone for an outsider which has had good reviews........ 8)

Its a stunning Black Peavey JF1-EXP
I bought it from an online store (not a Warehouse!) who actually set the guitars up before delivery
So including free gig-bag set up and delivery £240 ;D
I will be mostly playing Semi stuff for the next couple of weeks ;D ;D

Bro

You should consider b.b. kings lucielle, you can also get a epiphone version which is really great!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

guitarron

so ya went with the peavy
let us know how it is-may have to get one myself

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Quote from: Greeny on March 18, 2009, 08:07:14 AMBluesberry has a sheraton...  :)
Sorry I missed this thread.  I see that you have made your purchase and it looks like a beautiful guitar for sure.  I can't wait to hear something.  As far as the Epi Sheraton goes, I love mine, it was exactly what I was looking for all around and it has a much sweeter sound than the LP.  Between the LP, the Sheraton and the Strat I have just about all bases covered.  I really love playing my semi, it is different and that makes me play it slightly differently.  Good luck finding new tones, I am just starting to find all the sweet tones I can get.  I really like Smoothlead (tweeked a bit) with my Sheraton, this is the effect I used on my take of the "Slide on Home" challenge song and it sounded really sweet I thought.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

It arrived yesterday.......... :D :D
The first thing is Peavey have changed the inlay to a more elegant shaped abalone marker (see pic). 8)
Having never seen a 335 style guitar in the flesh I couldn't get over how big it is (compared to a strat or les Paul) :o
It is really well finished and feels very sturdy it looks beautiful.....
Strapped it on and was surprised how comfortable it felt dispite the size it is really comfortable the neck is shallower and wider than the Paul or Strat (which suits my fat fingers)
Unfortunately having asked for a low action there was some fret buzz ½ a turn with a screwdriver removed the buzz and it plays beautifully
The gold Grover tuners are incredibly sensitive and tuning was a breeze.......

Having established that it looks great and feels great to the most important the sound............
I was not expecting what I got. First of all I bought it for some soft jazz style tones which it can do with a rich sweetness........ 8)
I then added a little crunch and the thing nearly jumped up and played itself
It just loves dirt!..... ;D
Finally having never played a semi acoustic I am knocked out by the way you can feel the resonace of every note.....

When I can stop smiling and noodling through all the tones it can produce
I will try and post something constructive.....
Having said that I could be noodling for a very long time......... :D :D :D

Seriously I know the Peavey JF1-EXP is an outsider but for anybody who is considering a mid priced twin humbucker guitar (£320-£350) I would recommend you give it a try in your guitar shop......

Happy Days

Flash Harry

Wow, I'm glad that you have had such a good reaction to your new guitar.

I would have put my twopenny worth in if I'd seen the thread earlier.

I think you have discovered what all semi players have found, that they are such a versatile and wonderful instrument to play.

I have an Epi 335 DOT which I adore and my daughter has the Tanglewood version. Both play fantastically well and both look and sound great.

Enjoy!  I'm sure that you will.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bluesberry

forte8, your reaction sounds exactly like mine was when I got my Epi Sheraton home.  It does sweet and clean, but it also really likes dirt, and the resonance/sustain, that really knocked me out also.  I would just play one note, hold it, vibrato it a bit, and let it sustain for as long as it wanted.  I remember doing this for what seemed like an hour one night  :D.  It sounds like you got a guitar every bit as sweet as my Epi Sheraton.  Like I said, try it with smoothlead (tweek the gain down and the mid up) and record that, you will be amazed how good it will sound when you play that back.  Happy playing 48.  I love my semi.  It is a whole new world of guitar for sure.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

lg

Wow 48,

She's just as pretty as she sounds!
Congrats, man!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

guitarron

That is an exceptional value
its sound terrific-myself i would have been disappointed to not get the block inlays-but no matter looks great sounds great-
its giving me the hollow body electic fever-hmmm

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

3guitarsEddy

Forte8
If she plays as good as she looks then lucky you.  Play on Maestro.

Regards

Eddy ;)