How To Write Great Chord Progressions

Started by Johnny Robbo, May 06, 2014, 04:20:32 AM

Ferryman

Quote from: StephenM on January 04, 2021, 04:58:22 PMI have small hands and fingers... .... I have had to learn to get around that.... many of your really best lead guitarist are tall and thin, have long fingers and reach... 
This made me smile. Day 1 at University (back in 1975) I put a notice up in our student hall saying "Guitarist wants to form band". At that time I played guitar (rhythm with a bit of lead) and was experimenting with bass. The first guy who replied was an amazing guitarist. He had played the cello and had really long fingers and a very well developed reach. He could play everything by Hendrix note for note, also everything Queen had done up to that time note for note. He was amazing. I decided at that point to focus on bass.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I can sympathise. My fingers seem too short to reach a lot of barre chords and power chords on the lowest frets (and I've been trying a lot of that recently), and certainly can't do that wraparound thumb thing that Hendrix does. And I don't want small frets or a thin neck because it would interfere with my open chord hybrid picking.

I guess some of us are just more suited to lead guitar by nature.

Quote from: Ferryman on January 05, 2021, 01:21:33 PM
Quote from: StephenM on January 04, 2021, 04:58:22 PMI have small hands and fingers... .... I have had to learn to get around that.... many of your really best lead guitarist are tall and thin, have long fingers and reach... 
This made me smile. Day 1 at University (back in 1975) I put a notice up in our student hall saying "Guitarist wants to form band". At that time I played guitar (rhythm with a bit of lead) and was experimenting with bass. The first guy who replied was an amazing guitarist. He had played the cello and had really long fingers and a very well developed reach. He could play everything by Hendrix note for note, also everything Queen had done up to that time note for note. He was amazing. I decided at that point to focus on bass.