How To Write Great Chord Progressions

Started by Johnny Robbo, May 06, 2014, 04:20:32 AM

Hilary

I don't think it matters a jot how you make music, the fact that you are making it as an expression of yourself is the thing that matters.

I can read music and I can improvise - I fact I used to sing (briefly) with a big band and at my audition I improvised a few bars of a song. They were really shocked (in a good way) as they were all music readers and not many of them could (improvise).

Having said that, I am personally fascinated by the theory of music and would like to thank Johnny for sharing his knowledge. You seem very knowledgeable and kind for sharing (freely) and patient.

I appreciate it :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

T.C. Elliott

Matters to who? The most important thing is to be creative, to make music. The rest are tools you choose to use or not. So let's make some music.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Greeny

There shouldn't be any rules - to any art form. It's all about imagination and expression, and any kind of execution is valid. If the results are pleasing - to you and others - it doesn't matter how you got there. e.g. Steely Dan and the Ramones are equally valid - for totally different reasons.

I'm torn about whether greater technical knowledge helps. On one hand, I know that every new chord I learned (and continue to learn) on guitar opens up several new songs. And on the other, I have to step back now to keep my chord progressions simple and not over-complicate things. All my best songs are very, very simple when you strip them down. The problem seems to be that the more you know, the more you're tempted to throw all that skill and technique into everything you do, losing some of the raw, unpolished magic in the process.

I'm saying that as a rhythm guitar player though. If I was a lead guitarist, I'd definitely want to learn more scales and technique to allow me to have a whole load of chops in my locker.

Nobody's right and nobody's wrong here. It shouldn't even be an argument!

Oldrottenhead

my earlier comment might appear a bit flippant so apologies for that.

i can't play any instrument properly, i can probably name about 3 or 4 chords, 5 at a pinch. this is down to one thing, my inherent laziness. that said when ever i learn something new it adds another colour to my palette.

it probably shows in my work, but i try not to think about what i am doing, i just do it. if that makes sense.

my times in norway with the MET guys was an eyeopener. they spoke a foreign language to me (not just norwegian) there where exchanges like what chord is that and they would mention letters and numbers beyond my ken. i felt inadequate and out of my depth and filled with trepidation and awe at their musical abilities and knowledge.  

however, whenever we get together something magic happens.

i grew up on prog rock, admiring fabulous musicians from afar, then punk rock hit me like a sledgehammer and one of it's basic tenet's was, anybody can do this.

i wish i had the time and patience to learn properly,but when i do have time i plug in whatever i have at hand, hit record and see what happens.

i think it also stems back to having piano lessons as a kid. i lasted three lessons. i was rattling tunes out on the piano and my tutor made me play scales and stuff. i just wanted to do tunes.

even if someone hands me an instrument i've never played before, the 1st thing i'll do with it, is try get a tune out of it before even trying to find out how to play proper chords on it. i just want instant gratification. but like they say the day you stop learning is the day they put you in a box.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

chip

Quote from: oldrottenhead on May 16, 2014, 06:20:14 AMmy earlier comment might appear a bit flippant so apologies for that.

i can't play any instrument properly, i can probably name about 3 or 4 chords, 5 at a pinch. this is down to one thing, my inherent laziness. that said when ever i learn something new it adds another colour to my palette.

it probably shows in my work, but i try not to think about what i am doing, i just do it. if that makes sense.

my times in norway with the MET guys was an eyeopener. they spoke a foreign language to me (not just norwegian) there where exchanges like what chord is that and they would mention letters and numbers beyond my ken. i felt inadequate and out of my depth and filled with trepidation and awe at their musical abilities and knowledge.  

however, whenever we get together something magic happens.

i grew up on prog rock, admiring fabulous musicians from afar, then punk rock hit me like a sledgehammer and one of it's basic tenet's was, anybody can do this.

i wish i had the time and patience to learn properly,but when i do have time i plug in whatever i have at hand, hit record and see what happens.

i think it also stems back to having piano lessons as a kid. i lasted three lessons. i was rattling tunes out on the piano and my tutor made me play scales and stuff. i just wanted to do tunes.

even if someone hands me an instrument i've never played before, the 1st thing i'll do with it, is try get a tune out of it before even trying to find out how to play proper chords on it. i just want instant gratification. but like they say the day you stop learning is the day they put you in a box.

Right on oldrottenhead.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

maxit

I am a bit surprised ... the musician you quote as unlearned are such craftmans! They exactly seem to know what a progression is and what a secondary dominant is, even if you'll never catch em talking about LOL!
recorder
Audacity

Oldrottenhead

did anyone ever get the answer to this question?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

fenderbender

Just read back all the posts
Some great posts I have to say.
Me -I am still a busker -cant read music -find it a big deal to follow tabs even-
but I'm still open to learn something new -
Like someone at the music club will be doing a song -and suddenly throw in a chord
your ears prick up -what was that??????
Show me that chord  8) 8) 8) 8)
-----------
I always found gig wise a good bass player can teach you a lot -
listening to their runs in a song you find yourself following his run progressions
plus it keeps you on your toes,
However there is nothing wrong with the 3 chord trick as they call it-
C-F-G or even G7 can be the basis of a great song-
Always has been and always will be.
Just keep on making music!!!!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

hardlock

I'm bunping this since I was searching for info on a specific chord progression but couldn't find it.  Tons of great info here but sorry to say, most is way over my head.... IE: what does the "^" symbol represent in a Roman Numeral representation? Maybe up an octave? 

Anyway I'm like others here that if it sounds good, use it. However, since I find I keep "discovering" the same progressions just in different keys, thought I'd find out what the heck I'm doing for a change.

One version that keeps coming up but in different keys is: Bm, D, A, E. Which could be written: i, III, VII, IV ? 

Question is, what's the root chord? Or Key using these chords?

Maybe it shouldn't start with the Bm but the D instead? Then it would be: vi, I, V, II ?

Or start on A for: ii, IV, I, V ?

Or E for: v, VII, IV, I

This stuff's all Greek to me (pun intended) but feel I need to understand at least the basics.  ??? 

Thanks all!
Ken
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Hilary

It's early in the morning so I can't play it to check but I think it's in the key of A

So A would be I, D would be IV and E would be V (the classic I, IV, V combo with a minor 2nd Bm ii)

Your version would as you say be A for: ii, IV, I, V

If the key is in a minor 1st (ie Bm) I believe the 4th and the 5th would typically also be minor, ie - so the E would be Em

Unlikely to be in E with a minor 5th (Bm)

I'd have to play it on the piano to be sure - although the most interesting songs are the ones that don't play by the rules  :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça