Cassilda's Song - a bit scary.........

Started by Ferryman, March 16, 2009, 08:04:30 PM

Greeny

Great words. The falcon imagery alone is brilliant, which takes me back to WB Yeats (The falcon cannot hear the falconer / mere anarchy is loosed upon the world). I like the gothic combination of love and death in this one... eros e thanatos. Echoes of Baudelaire too.

I'll have to get my girlfriend to translate - she's fluent in French. Chasseur... not sure if that's something to do with shoes or chicken casserole, lol...

I have high hopes for this one on the strength of the lyrics, and the fact that I know it'll be a meticulous production job!

Saijinn Maas

Glad this was dug up. This was pretty damn cool. If the vocals were a little darker, I would have thought this was something by Cradle of Filth. But it is much too original to be them, ;)

Can't wait to hear the next one!

galestermusic

Nigel...I missede this and just saw the bump today great production! Awesome song. I love the concept idea of writing it based on a book. Just curious....would you care, if you already have I apologize, how you got 40 tracks in this. Everything that sounds good on this except the kitchen sink.

Bosko Schwartz

I believe this is my first Nigel listen, and WHAT AN INTRODUCTION!

Blown the fuck away is about what I am right now.

Prog is right up my alley, and this song has everything -- the kitchen sink, the 800 lb. gorilla, the elephant in the room -- EVERYTHING has been thrown into this song, but all perfectly mixed for a phenomenal treat to the ears.  The bassline and the smoothness with which you played it is the stand-out feature for me, which makes sense, as I believe from reading your other posts that bass is you primary instrument, correct?  But you obviously have some awesome guitar skills and I love the synth as well!  The vocals are also nice and reflect the theme and feel of the song perfectly.  Good use of sound effects too.  I have to read that book!

AWESOME! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

OsCKilO

Holy shit!

This gave me shivers down my spine as soon as it kicked in!

What an awesomely powerful piece of music!

OMG

Intimidating bass work!

Stereo and a then some! All on the MBR?!?!?!

This picture came to mind....

I used to go to the Goth/Grunge clubs at one point....(Cheap beer ;D)...

There was always a tune like this that came on that would send the place wild!

Great Job!

Peace

Tharek

I'm Glad I listened to this one!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Ferryman

Wow everyone, thanks so much for the feedback. That's what's so great about this forum. I have been talking about doing this kind of thing for the last ten years, getting the MBR and coming on here has given me the encouragement to really see what I can do.

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 02, 2009, 10:02:36 AMI am standing up right now aplauding your brilliant song (and I am at work, I hope nobody comes into my office for the next few minutes). 
LOL, thanks so much Bluesberry. Having seen how much your own style has developed here, I really appreciate your comments. And what a great mental picture!

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on July 02, 2009, 10:12:24 AMGlad this was dug up. This was pretty damn cool. If the vocals were a little darker, I would have thought this was something by Cradle of Filth. But it is much too original to be them, ;)

Can't wait to hear the next one!
Sai, thanks for this. I've not listened to Cradle of Filth but I did after you mentioned them, and I see where you're coming from with the reference. I like their direction but I don't quite have the eyeliner and bondage gear to match them.....

The next one will be a bit lighter, as it's only about love and death rather than an eternally doomed city  :D but I will still be going for the eerie sound.

Quote from: LESTG on July 02, 2009, 10:43:00 AMI love the concept idea of writing it based on a book. Just curious....would you care, if you already have I apologize, how you got 40 tracks in this. Everything that sounds good on this except the kitchen sink.
Thanks for the great feedback. As you saw from the writing thread, I take a lot of inspiration from books and films, as I find it hard to write about personal experiences for some reason. I'm exaggerating when I say there are 40 tracks, I shoud have said I used 40 tracks to create this. IIRC, there are four guitar tracks, four vocal tracks, bazz, fuzz bass and strings. Bouncing all of those onto two tracks took a few intermediate tracks as well. But it's the soundscape that took up all the space. There is a stereo soundscape running through the whole track which IIRC has sound effects for the sea, a thunderstorm, monks chanting, children screaming, various screams and monster noises along with at least three "ambient" noise effects, most in stereo. Mixing and bouncing all of them onto two tracks used up at least 16 V-tracks!

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 02, 2009, 11:33:44 AMProg is right up my alley, and this song has everything -- the kitchen sink, the 800 lb. gorilla, the elephant in the room -- EVERYTHING has been thrown into this song, but all perfectly mixed for a phenomenal treat to the ears.  The bassline and the smoothness with which you played it is the stand-out feature for me, which makes sense, as I believe from reading your other posts that bass is you primary instrument, correct?  But you obviously have some awesome guitar skills and I love the synth as well!  The vocals are also nice and reflect the theme and feel of the song perfectly.  Good use of sound effects too.  I have to read that book!

AWESOME! ;D
Bosko, many thanks for that feedback, you know that I have really enjoyed your work and in many ways we are kindred spirits. Yes, bass is my primary instrument but I would actually call myself a "guitaribassist". I started playing guitar when I was 11 but never had much in the way of lead chops and switched to bass when I joined a band at Uni. So bass took over, then being a lead singer for a while, then bass again, and then I switched back to guitar. So I gradually built up some guitar skills over the years. Like you, I'm not a stunning instrumentalist but I'm certainly above average at both. I would be better if I sat down and practiced, but just as you said on another thread, I don't have the patience to practice. I prefer creating music and that's why I am blown away that this turned out so well and that everyone seems to like it. Mind you, since being on here I am playing more guitar than ever and also (coutesy the likes of 48 and Bluesberry) actually learning new stuff, which is great.

I let my "inner prog" out for this one, and it was great fun!

Quote from: osckilo on July 02, 2009, 12:34:08 PMWhat an awesomely powerful piece of music!
I used to go to the Goth/Grunge clubs at one point....(Cheap beer ;D)...

There was always a tune like this that came on that would send the place wild!
Thanks Tharek, the picture nailed it! I used to go to goth clubs as well, but I was one of those pale, white creatures that you would see sat in the corner. Can I join the Vampire club?

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

So you want to Join the Vampier Club do you..........?

Hmmmmmmm.......

!!!!!!Application Approved!!!!

Pick a set of teeth up from the receptionist....

and party on.....

Oh..... Have you met our Patron....?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Ferryman

Quote from: osckilo on July 02, 2009, 02:15:01 PM
LOL!!!! You are a wicked man!!! There goes your knighthood.......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

Quote from: Ferryman on July 02, 2009, 03:47:26 PM
Quote from: osckilo on July 02, 2009, 02:15:01 PM
LOL!!!! You are a wicked man!!! There goes your knighthood.......

I couldn't afford one.... Lol
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Ferryman on July 02, 2009, 01:29:25 PMBosko, many thanks for that feedback, you know that I have really enjoyed your work and in many ways we are kindred spirits. Yes, bass is my primary instrument but I would actually call myself a "guitaribassist". I started playing guitar when I was 11 but never had much in the way of lead chops and switched to bass when I joined a band at Uni. So bass took over, then being a lead singer for a while, then bass again, and then I switched back to guitar. So I gradually built up some guitar skills over the years. Like you, I'm not a stunning instrumentalist but I'm certainly above average at both. I would be better if I sat down and practiced, but just as you said on another thread, I don't have the patience to practice. I prefer creating music and that's why I am blown away that this turned out so well and that everyone seems to like it. Mind you, since being on here I am playing more guitar than ever and also (coutesy the likes of 48 and Bluesberry) actually learning new stuff, which is great.

I let my "inner prog" out for this one, and it was great fun!

That explains your badassness on the bass!  Very Chris Squire of you (another guitaribassist).  I am glad to hear your inner prog and will line up to hear more anytime! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels