Cassilda's Song - a bit scary.........

Started by Ferryman, March 16, 2009, 08:04:30 PM

dragonshade

Nigel..... WOW

I haven't been on in a few days so I just found this. LOL... was smiling like a child with a gift clicking on this.. you know I have been waiting ;).
I had no real idea what to expect, and then THIS!!
I love it, simply put.
To me so many potential influences, and yet unlike anything I personally have heard to date, and WICKED cool. Very dark, very eerie, very rich, hypnotizing.

I do hear the similarities in our style/choice of music, though you take it into another realm... kudos. (makes me wonder how we'd sound in a true dark collab ~ insert evil laugh ~ ;))

Nigel... you also did so well incorporating the poem lyrics into this, the doubling up in areas adds to the darkness. I can see the crazed city through the lyrically performance AND the music, you have painted a picture well my friend. The bass line may be simple to you but adds SO much to the overall feel. You know absolutely none of our stuff has any bass (save for where Chrome may have added a little syth bass). I had been thinking about playing with this... not sure if it would turn the "club" feel more rock/metal. I don't think it would if done well after hearing this.

Don't take too long of a break before the next one. You just hit your "stride"..... plus we don't want to wait :P.

Great job!

Ferryman

Thanks Ray, you can see now why I like your stuff so much. I literally had just started work on this when you posted the first Chrome collaboration and I could see so many similarities in approach. You validated for me that this was a good direction, as it is a bit different from what I usually do. Mind you, you've done seven in the time I've done one!

I think you can add bass without getting too rocky, but that's why I'd like to have a go on one of yours.

There will be lots more, but I am going to take a little break - this stuff is quite intense.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I think this song is a perfect example for anyone wondering what the BR is capable of - i.e. a multi-layered, complex studio-quality recording, full of great guitar tones and effects  :)

Tangled Wires

This is brilliant, and does show what can be done on the BR.

Thought the vocal complimented the music perfectly, and the whole sound was just moody and mesmerising.

Looks like your hard work paid off here.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

I was reading about how all the musical greatness here writes their songs and saw your link reference.

This one kicks hiney. A big boost of encouragement to break me out of the 32 track stigma I have.

You must have been tickled pink after finishing this!! Excellent work!!

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Satchwood

Nice production with sound fx and all - spooky - Jim Morrison-IronMaiden-ish thriller!!

Very unique and different - great voice there Nigel!!  Luv the guitar scalar work & bassline !!

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Ferryman

Goodness, what a surprise to see this one pop up. Thanks Mark and Tommy, I am very proud of this, it's my best to date I think and I really put into practice a lot of stuff I learned here. Although Mark, I have to say there are least 40 tracks on this one!

I am working on the next song for this concept album, which is called "The Demoiselle D'Ys" and is a kind of ghost/love story. But it is taking a long time, at least four weeks away from completion. I'm a slow and fiddly worker, definitely in the AndyR school (and I will be using some of his techniques next time round).

Cheers and thanks,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

It's a great bump, this one!

If any newbies want an inspiring lesson of what you can get out of a BR, this is it. With a sh*tload of talent that is, lol.

I just listened to this through the new cans I bought in HMV at lunchtime - it's even more stupendous now that your fantastic bass playing is so clear and insistent. It really is a masterpiece.

And it reminds me of the poem 'Christabel' by Coleridge... doomed spooky maidens and all that...

Is the night chilly and dark?
The night is chilly, but not dark.
The thin gray cloud is spread on high,
It covers but not hides the sky.
The moon is behind, and at the full;
And yet she looks both small and dull.
The night is chill, the cloud is gray:
'T is a month before the month of May,
And the Spring comes slowly up this way.
The lovely lady, Christabel,
Whom her father loves so well,
What makes her in the wood so late,
A furlong from the castle gate?
She had dreams all yesternight
Of her own betrothed knight;
And she in the midnight wood will pray
For the weal of her lover that's far away.

She stole along, she nothing spoke,
The sighs she heaved were soft and low,
And naught was green upon the oak,
But moss and rarest mistletoe:
She kneels beneath the huge oak tree,
And in silence prayeth she.

(the full thing is about a zillion verses, so this is but a snippet...  :D)

Ferryman

Tim, thanks for the kind words and the poem - I love it, I feel another song coming on. I can't resist posting the words for the next song, because it's so right up the Christabel street:

The Demoiselle D'Ys
(based on words by Robert W Chambers)

The Demoiselle D'Ys took my hand,
With a tremor of love from a distant land
Like a falcon swooping on its prey,
In an instant my heart was torn away

Tonton, tontaine,
Chasseur, chassez encore
Tonton, tontaine,
Pour rabbatre des l'aurores
Tonton, tontaine,
Chasseur, chassez encore
Tonton, tontaine

The Demoiselle D'Ys spoke with a glance,
"Win me" she said, in love there's no second chance
The more she looked, the deeper I fell
One more hawk caught and tamed, jessed and belled

Tonton, tontaine,
Chasseur, chassez encore
Tonton, tontaine,
Pour rabbatre des l'aurores
Tonton, tontaine,
Chasseur, chassez encore
Tonton, tontaine

The Demoiselle D'Ys, pale and cold
Lay by my side as her life unfolds
She gave her soul, a gift sublime
For a stranger's love, three hundred years out of time

Tonton, tontaine,
Chasseur, chassez encore
Tonton, tontaine,
Mon amour est mort
Tonton, tontaine,
Chasseur, chassez encore
Tonton, tontaine

I'm not exactly sure what some of the French means but I loved the imagery and sound of the words. Better get working on the music now.....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

There it is, the song that let us see what Ferryman was really up to.  And it blew my mind then, and again today.  What a great frigging song Nigel.  I am in awe again.  Your voice reminds me of David Gilmour on this song (exspecially the song "Keep Talking" from the Division Bell).  I am standing up right now aplauding your brilliant song (and I am at work, I hope nobody comes into my office for the next few minutes).  

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand