Cassilda's Song - a bit scary.........

Started by Ferryman, March 16, 2009, 08:04:30 PM

Wiley

Ok I had to come back and make another comment.  Get this copywrited and send it to some one like Spielberg.  Those great movie guys.  This would just be awesome in a horror show.  I bet you could get pretty good royalties.  Shivvers all night

Blooby

Would have commented sooner, but I wanted to give this several listens over time.  Three things strike me:

1) This is yet another stellar example of what can be done with the BR.  As one person put it, it's a great peice of kit.

2) The mixing of this in many parts is a great accomplishment.  I don't think people who don't record realize how much of it is an art.  Sure, there are personal quirks to mixing involved, but a bad mix is usually a bad mix for most.  Nice job.

3) Rather than talk about the composition (which is very nice), you really captured a mood here, which I think is that much harder.  I haven't felt that this strongly since somebody posted a killer surf tune a while back (Farmjazz perhaps?)

You should be proud.

Blooby

lg

Wow, this really is awesome... The more I listen to it, the more I like it!
It just keeps growing and growing on me...
Please Make more...

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Davo

Just listened again...I can totally hear your voice on Under the Milky Way Tonight by Chuch.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ferryman

Quote from: wiley on March 17, 2009, 05:32:27 PMOk I had to come back and make another comment.  Get this copywrited and send it to some one like Spielberg.  Those great movie guys.  This would just be awesome in a horror show.  I bet you could get pretty good royalties.  Shivvers all night

Thanks for the feedback Wiley, job done if you found it scary! I was trying to create a very eerie impression, I guess I had a cinematic view of this doomed city in my mind, so it has a soundtrack feel to it, like lots of Dragonshade's work. As for making any money out of it, I'm too old for any of that. This is all for fun now.

I plan more, in my mind I have a whole album, whether I ever get there we will wait and see. It won't be a narrative though, so what happens to the kids I will have to leave to your imagination!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: Blooby on March 17, 2009, 06:03:25 PMThe mixing of this in many parts is a great accomplishment.  I don't think people who don't record realize how much of it is an art.  Sure, there are personal quirks to mixing involved, but a bad mix is usually a bad mix for most.  Nice job.
Thanks Blooby, appreciate it. I spent many hours in my youth in studios watching other people mixing my band's stuff, so I was always interested in the production side of things. It's been great to finally put some of that experience to good use. I really enjoy the production side of things and I have picked up so much from the site by reading the advice from folks like 64Guitars and Hooper, and then listening to how all of you have been doing stuff.

BTW, the MBR is fine for this level of production once you get used to it. The only thing I would really change is to add a track mute button. Zeroing the volume on other tracks when you just want to check one track on its own is a real pain.

Quote from: Blooby on March 17, 2009, 06:03:25 PMRather than talk about the composition (which is very nice), you really captured a mood here, which I think is that much harder.  I haven't felt that this strongly since somebody posted a killer surf tune a while back (Farmjazz perhaps?)
Thanks, that's what I was going for, it's a mood piece with the vox almost being a poem rather than a traditional lyric (although that does sound a bit pretentious, sorry :D). I'm not a stellar instrumentalist, so my strengths are more composition, production and (hopefully) imagination. I grew up listening to early prog stuff like Genesis and Yes, where there was always a bit of an "epic" feel and in later life I got into Bowie (Low and Heroes soundscape stuff) and Eno's ambient stuff. So this kind of draws all those influences together.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: lg on March 17, 2009, 10:02:15 PMWow, this really is awesome... The more I listen to it, the more I like it!
It just keeps growing and growing on me...
Please Make more...

Thanks LG, there will be more, hopefully a whole album at some point. But I'll take a bit of a break from this kind of stuff for a while and get back to rocking out!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: Davo on March 18, 2009, 12:49:40 AMJust listened again...I can totally hear your voice on Under the Milky Way Tonight by Chuch.
I'd forgotten about them. Just had a listen, thanks for that. More of those 80's influences!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pedro

QuoteBTW, the MBR is fine for this level of production once you get used to it. The only thing I would really change is to add a track mute button. Zeroing the volume on other tracks when you just want to check one track on its own is a real pain.

You can choose an empty virtual track to mute it. I think about 3 or 4 buttons need to be pressed to achieve this.

Ferryman

Quote from: admin on March 18, 2009, 08:03:54 AMYou can choose an empty virtual track to mute it. I think about 3 or 4 buttons need to be pressed to achieve this.

Indeed true, which was great early on, but in the lattter part of the production when I was doing most of the final mixing, all the V tracks were full. I was deleting V tracks to make space for bounces and the final mastering. Although I was backing up to PC as I went, I was still wary of deleting anything on the way.

But I guess most users won't get to that level of complexity so it's a bit of an over the top addition. I can live with it - I know not all of my stuff will be this complex.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR