Any tips on a dodgy phones/line out socket on my Micro BR?

Started by Tangled Wires, April 29, 2014, 06:27:33 AM

Tangled Wires

My Micro BR phones/line out socket has been playing up for a little while, and I am having to wedge something underneath the line out cable or headphones to make it work. If I just plug in the headphones I will generally get no sound coming out and if I wiggle it about a bit the sound will come and go.

I am assuming it is a loose connection so have taken it apart in the hope that it might be something simple, but to be honest I haven't got a clue what I am doing and there was nothing obvious on first inspection that I could do that was within my capabilities.

I actually own two MBR's and experienced the same problem with that one, so don't know if this is a common issue that others may of experienced, and whether or not anybody has any ideas as how to fix it?

Cheers!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

You are sure it's not the headphones ? ... Yes I guess you are ... well you could try some electronics cleaning spray, and make sure there's nothing inside the socket ....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Greeny

Haven't had this (scary) problem myself with an MBR jack socket. I've had plenty of issues with bad headphone and line-in leads though. Good call from Geir on making sure the socket is clean though? My MBR is always in it's slip-case inside another hard case when not in use, so that's helped keep it relatively undamaged.

No idea how much it would be to replace a jack socket or even if it's a job you could do yourself.

Feeling your pain though. I'd be lost if my MBR packed up :-(

64Guitars

You could have a bad solder connection. See the following topic:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=4676.0

If that doesn't solve it, it shouldn't be hard to find a replacement jack and solder it in place yourself. Here's one from RS:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/jack-trs-connectors/7051490/

Just make sure the solder pins are in the same position so they line up with the circuit board. You might want to un-solder your old connector from the BR first so you can take it to the electronics parts store and make sure you get a replacement that has the same pin placement.

When applying a soldering iron to a circuit board, try to be quick about it. Prolonged heat can damage other components on the board. And use a low-wattage iron, if possible.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tangled Wires

Cheers for the advice guys, will go down the cleaning spray route first as it is not the headphones as I have tried various ones to test this.

The replacement jack could be the answer as my Dad has a soldering iron and is a dab hand with it  :)

If all else fails it might give me an excuse to upgrade to a BR800 :)

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Just in case, try and pick up some 'Servisol'....

henwrench

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=13469.0
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gnasty

Sorry just noticed this. I had problems with my br-80 headphone input too which seems to be a common problem.

It was really getting annoying and thought i had to take it apart which i didn`t want to do at all.
My headphone cable is pretty heavy  so weighing it down seemed to work but when i moved it still would
move off its connection. So i thought to myself. Why i can`t i make a shim to put it there at the top of the
input so it wouldn`t move.
So i took toothpicks. I stuck each end of a toothpick and broke it all the way around the top of the input so it
wouldn`t move. Voila! Never had a problem since.

If you look at the picture. The whitish area are the shims and it`s also totally smooth to the touch.

High tech people may advise against this but there is no way it can harm anything.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

jp68

Has anyone removed the 4 phillips screws on the sides of the BR-80 and pulled the front and rear covers to get at the board and plug?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss eBand JS-8
recorder
Audacity

Geir

Quote from: jp68 on May 13, 2014, 03:46:41 PMHas anyone removed the 4 Allen screws on the sides of the BR-80 and pulled the front and rear covers to get at the board and plug?

Not on the BR80, but I (and a few others too) have opened the MicroBR with success. There's pictures to be found here on this site.
Mine's here:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=7394.0

and here's Launched's:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=4676.0
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

jp68

Took the four screws on each end out and the aluminum front and back plates come off. Then there are 6 screws that hold the two body halves together. I could then see the earphone jack and the solder joints. I couldn't see any indication that the joints were broken. So I put the unit back together and couldn't get the last two side screws to engage. So now I have two loose screws... Some probably think I have a few more than that... I guess I will have to take it apart again and try and do a better job of matching the pieces together..  I still don't know what the problem is with my earphone jack... Before I did any of this I went to the only surviving Roland/Boss authorized repair shop in the Denver area and they said it would be a minimum $60 charge and it would take 6 to 8 weeks before they could even get to my machine. If,,, If I wanted to jump to the front of the line I could pay another $40 or a total of $100.  Replacement value is $250... Sitting on this for now...

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss eBand JS-8
recorder
Audacity