Best AND Cheapest guitar amp?

Started by T.C. Elliott, April 20, 2014, 12:27:54 PM

fenderbender

I think guitar amps are the bane and biggest thorn in a guitar players life.
If you google and look for a review of any amp or guitar for that matter -every review has some guy doing a demo OK?
no not really -cos the last thing you ever hear, if at all, is the clean sound of an amp.
same with guitar demos -all distortion and shredding ---
I read somewhere on another site -that a guitar amp needs to be broken in, the speaker needs a lot of time to settle in and function properly-a lot of the guys on that site agreed-
never heard or thought of that before-
but a guitar amp is a personal choice -
I have a VoxVT40+ and to me it's a great amp -I get a lovely full clean sound -
the only effects I use that are on the amp are, tape, echo-delay or trem=
plenty of power in reserve and it is powerful enough for an average size hall-

Tommy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

chip

Quote from: chip on May 07, 2014, 12:51:02 PMWell. I have    not bought the Mustang. I have been messing around with the Joyo pedals with the Br1200 and at this moment they sound very good indeed. They cost me £20 odd each and for that price they are unbelievable value. Ok there is a little bit of noise when the gain/drive is near wide open, more so on the AC tone, but I can dial that back a little, mess with the voice controls and bingo we're in. They didn't work as well with the BR80 but they are working fine with their new pal. So my gas attack is over for now. Thanks for all the help on this one, I may pick up a Mustang on the cheap sometime though or a valve amp with headphone out, if they get it right.

Errrrrrrrrrrrr I did buy a Mustang 1 v2, bought at a reasonable price, still has the tags on it, original box and packaging £60. I got it out last night plugged it in and very nice. Put it through the line in on the 1200 and yep not so bad. I do need to tamper with it some more though.

Question. It says on the bumph it has 5 new amp models, but, I can't find them as they are the same models as the V1 version. Is it a case of the the amp models from the first version being called the same on this version but different. Ex:  British 80s (V1)is now British colour (V2) but still called British 80s? I can't seem to find a definite answer to this. Or do you have to do this in Fuse?
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

T.C. Elliott

After perusing the Fender Forum a few minutes it looks like the presets are just updated. Supposedly better quality presets.  The first thing I did with mine was hook it up to the FUSE software and change the presets anyway. I still have a bunch more tweaking to do but I have three good presets that I can hit right off the bat. I've been impressed so far. (btw, I have the Mustang II v.2)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

chip

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on June 07, 2014, 11:42:14 AMAfter perusing the Fender Forum a few minutes it looks like the presets are just updated. Supposedly better quality presets.  The first thing I did with mine was hook it up to the FUSE software and change the presets anyway. I still have a bunch more tweaking to do but I have three good presets that I can hit right off the bat. I've been impressed so far. (btw, I have the Mustang II v.2)

Hey cheers. I am still confused though. Silvertone. Which one is that I wonder? Is there a list of them and what they replaced? Anyway. It's great, I am very impressed so far. First impressions tell me this leaves LIne 6 dead in the water, much more realistic and no where near as sterile even when using the James Tyler JTV69. I cannot believe the amp quality for such a price, even bought new it's a bargain. Dead easy just to dial in a nice sound without resorting to menu after menu after menu. The Line 6 hd pod 500 was a nightmare and I couldn't get a decent sound out of it after hours sorry months of twiddling, this though, almost straight out the box and it sounds great.

I have been looking for something like this for years and after spending many hours, countless pounds and mind numbing menu hopping I may have found the almost perfect recording amp. I thought I may end up with one as there is not one bad word against the amp range apart from the fizz on the early versions of 3/4/and 5. Apparently 1 and 2 didn't suffer from it even before the version 2 came out.

So far, thumbs up.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

T.C. Elliott

Here is the link to the presets for V.1
.http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Presets_Mustang1.pdf

Here is the link to the presets for V.2
http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Presets_Mustang1_v.2.pdf

The following presets had a name change on the list:

8 - Vee Eight changed to Black Wizard
11 - Cliffs changed to Green Cliffs (no idea if the actual sound changed)
12 - Majesty's Phaser changed to Brighton Rock
14 - Bassman Splash changed to Twin Swing
20 - 60's Sparkle changed to Pigs Can Fly

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London