Best AND Cheapest guitar amp?

Started by T.C. Elliott, April 20, 2014, 12:27:54 PM

T.C. Elliott

Got to work and saw the Fed Ex tracker said my amp was on the truck. Took the day off and now I'm sitting here waiting for delivery. I guess I should do the dishes or something.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on April 30, 2014, 09:01:18 PMGot the II (40 watt) version which should be here any day from the store. I'll try to give a review when I get it. 200 bucks US brand new and I spent another dozen on a single button footswitch which might be unnecessary as it only switches between two presets. But still might be useful. I figure for recording it might be a nice toy and if I can get a back up club amp for small gigs that is useful in other areas then why the hell not?

Good choice T.C., you won't be disappointed!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

danieldesete

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on May 01, 2014, 08:18:42 AMGot to work and saw the Fed Ex tracker said my amp was on the truck. Took the day off and now I'm sitting here waiting for delivery. I guess I should do the dishes or something.

I'm glad I'm not your boss  ;D ;D

Anything new now?
hou hou ha ha

T.C. Elliott

I did the dishes. Still waiting on delivery. I did catch my oldest daughter using the spare key to help herself to our T.V. which is okay. Actually it sounds like someone is at the door right now. Better go up and check for the dozenth time.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

T.C. Elliott

Got the amp and have played with it a little bit. It's got a few good tones, I'm loving the supersonic presets and the deluxe is good. I think I'll use the Twin, too. That makes it useable at the very least. I think it'll be fun playing with and recording with, but I'm a bit worried about the sound on stage. Will play with it some more, though.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

T.C. Elliott

Another hour of tinkering and if you like to turn knobs to dial in a tone this amp is kind of cool. I downloaded the fuse software and tinkered with two tones. The coolest part? I was playing the guitar in my lap while using the mouse to tweak the settings on the computer and they were changing in real time through the amp. So I could literally try out the tone as I was playing. I've got a pretty clean deluxe sound and a too much overdrive supersonic sound. I'll have to clean it up a bit, I think, but man is it fun to play with.

So after two hours, yep, it's a keeper. Also I've gotten some pretty loud sounds out of it, too. I'm not keeping it there, but it would be plenty loud enough to mic up through a p.a. in a club gig. Could be too loud, really, which is weird as hell. But I like amps that move air as much as the next person so..... two thumbs up so far.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

chip

Sounds great. I'm interested too. Anyone tried the headphone out into a boss recorder line in?  I find the BR1200 cosm stuff pretty bad. I use the American sound pedal which was recommended on here by Bruno? It's ok but a little noisy, I also have the Vox Joyo and California pedals too. but I don't use them much. I have been checking out the demo's of the Mustang and the little one may be enough for me, not for live use but for recording direct.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

T.C. Elliott

I like the COSM guitar effects on the BR-900 but all but two of the presets need tweaked. Usually the effects are way too accentuated, but that is usually the case so you can hear what they can do.

I haven't tried the phone out into the 900, yet. I do intend to do that and see how it works. I'm still tweaking sounds via the USB connection and Fuse software.  I intend to play some Buddy Guy tracks and try to match that tone as best I can. Then I'll move on to another couple of tones I really like and see how I do.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

danieldesete

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on May 01, 2014, 02:52:20 PMI was playing the guitar in my lap while using the mouse to tweak the settings on the computer and they were changing in real time through the amp.

now that looks like something cool !
hou hou ha ha

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: chip on May 02, 2014, 10:23:01 AMSounds great. I'm interested too. Anyone tried the headphone out into a boss recorder line in?  I find the BR1200 cosm stuff pretty bad. I use the American sound pedal which was recommended on here by Bruno? It's ok but a little noisy, I also have the Vox Joyo and California pedals too. but I don't use them much. I have been checking out the demo's of the Mustang and the little one may be enough for me, not for live use but for recording direct.

Hi Chip, I have the small Mustang for the studio and I have used the headphone out direct to my Fostex Vf160 recorder. It works well and is quiet enough to be useable. To get the most out of it (stereo out) you need a 1/8 " stereo plug or chord to 1/4 ". I didn't have one so I used it in mono and it worked fine but stereo would be better in my opinion.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?