A new low with G.A.S.

Started by Blooby, April 17, 2014, 06:23:09 PM

Blooby

I was on spring break a few weeks back and had the G.A.S. itch. In the time I should have been recording something, I eyed that Moog has a more affordable line of effect pedals. When I saw the ring modulator, I guess I sorta snapped because I immediately starting calling dealers and found one in stock 70 miles away.

Fast forward to the last gig where I would arbitrarily stomp on the box and watch people's reaction.  John kept apologizing.

Priceless.

Okay. What the hell am I going to do with this thing now?

Blooby

64Guitars

I think that effects pedals should be used sparingly, especially in a live performance. Sure, you can get away with using a distortion pedal or a chorus on nearly every song, but most other effects should be considered much more special-purpose and only used occasionally. For that reason, I think a multi-effects unit is far more practical for live use. It gives you a wide variety of effects to choose from, yet the effects that you seldom or never use cost you nothing to have available. They don't require extra setup. They don't add noise to the signal path. And they don't require separate batteries or power adapters. And you can include whatever combinations of effects you want in presets so you can call them up instantly and simultaneously. It's hard to do that with separate effects pedals because each one has it's own on/off switch and there's going to be a noticeable gap between switching on one effect and then the next.

Where separate effects pedals are more practical is in the home studio. So, if I were you, I'd leave the ring modulator at home. Then when you're recording a new song and you think it could use a weird, spacey intro or guitar solo, you can pull out the ring modulator and experiment with the sounds. That's another thing - in the studio, you've got time to try out different settings and see what works and what doesn't. If you're not happy with the result, you can try again with different settings till you get something you like. But in a live situation, you can only stomp on the pedal and hope that it's going to sound okay. I think the odds of getting a good sound can be low - especially with a very specialized pedal like a ring modulator. You're better off with a multi-effects unit for live use. Or at least stick with more conventional pedals like fuzz, wah, or chorus. You can't go far wrong with those.

I think the Moog is probably worth keeping. You might not use it often but when you do, it could be just the thing to give that certain song a really cool effect.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Satchwood

I think, when playing live, the more effects pedals the better!!  I'm a player type guitarist... but, BUT,  when i can play "1" freaking note with the correct effect... and the crowd goes wild!!!.... well that IS IT
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Blooby

Quote from: Blooby on April 17, 2014, 06:23:09 PMOkay. What the hell am I going to do with this thing now?

I think what I was really asking is, "What the hell is wrong with me that I would buy such an esoteric pedal, knowing full well it would not get much use?"  It's not like I'm crazy rich.

The effects crate grows heavier.

Blooby

Flash Harry

Yes. I know what you mean, there's some stuff I have that I shouldn't have bought. My schelping gets worse. I used to carry a bass and a DI. Now I can't carry some of the things I take, I need help. NO I mean I need psychological help
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Blooby

Quote from: Flash Harry on April 18, 2014, 12:16:33 PMI need help. NO I mean I need psychological help

Crikey, it happened again.  I have a Yamaha monitor speaker that is way overkill for our gigs.  It was a gift...heavy as heck but sounds great. Guitar Center has 10" Kustom monitors (with a horn) reduced to $49 through Sunday. I naturally bought two.  

But as I sit here drinking Guinness after a crap week with 1,000 middle schoolers, it really is dawning on me that I need help.  The past couple months has brought me a decent pair of closed headphones, a used five-string bass, a MIM Tele, the Ring Modulator, and a Soul Food overdrive.  The credit card is screaming for mercy.

Guinness # 3 has dictated to cancel the monitors, but I'll keep the rest. Phew, I feel better now.

Oh, and another thing... I shall record this weekend, damn it!!!

Waitress, two more Guinnesses, please.  Or is that Guinni?"

Blooby

Gnasty

Yes we can get a little out of hand sometimes. I think all musicians do it. I`ve been a bit smarter lately. and it`s hard to get good money back unless you trade for something.
I went to the pawnshop yesterday and i can`t believe the shit money they give back for good instruments and sell
crappy instruments overpriced.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Flash Harry

You can never have enough monitors.

And it's London Pride tonight.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Blooby

I canceled the monitor order.

Am I cured now?

Flash Harry

Quote from: Blooby on April 18, 2014, 05:28:40 PMI canceled the monitor order.

Am I cured now?

I hope not.

You're my inspiration.
- Kurt Vonnegut.