"Fake & Distant" a Hook original

Started by Hook, April 15, 2014, 06:31:11 PM

Hook

Fake & Distant
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I've got to say that I think the Line 6 Pocket Pod is the bomb!!!All the tones on the song except for drums were done through the Pod. That's right 3 uke tracks, a bass (Angry Bastard patch ;D) and the vocal was recorded with the pso2 on bypass going into the pod, I know there are vocal patches!!!! I went ahead and recorded all tracks in stereo and panned them all evenly (R/L) in different areas in the stereo field so all the tracks are coming at you from both sides. I think it has a real thick & meaty sound, I love me some Pocket Pod!!! Oh & there are actually 2 different drum takes that I mixed together also, so double stereo drums.
1 distorted/flanger uke (stereo)
1 clean/phaser uke (stereo)
1 F'd up solo uke (stereo)
1 bass (stereo)
1 vocal (stereo)
2 drum tracks -YDD60(each stereo)
**4/20/14 uploaded a new mix with the drums & solo brought up.

Fake & Distant
written & performed by Hook
It's exactly what we got
and not at all what we wanted
Knockoffs are a steal
 but you lose the desire to flaunt it

Fake and distant
particleboard and plastic

Built for speed not built to last
It looks quite safe until the blast
It's exactly what we got
and not at all what we wanted

Fake and distant
Surgery in lipstick

Not quite two dimensional
Shallow yet somehow sensible

Convenient trumps dependability
It's exactly what we got
and not at all what we need

Fake and distant
Pretty shiny trinkets
Fake and distant
I blinked and missed it

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Greeny

Some great psyched-up tones. Can definitely hear the fun you're having with those patches, and love the whole swirly soup of it. Really like how the vocal rises up and up as the song progresses. Nicely done, Duke of Uke!

steelguitar

Excellent psychedelic ukulele sounds!!!
Your vocals are perfect, with a subtle vibrato you really mastering
Love the melody and the chord progression

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Gnasty

Geez man that`s so cool. You`re the only guy i know that can plug a uke in a pod but not only that! Make it work!
This is really cool! I like the flange uke and that ending distortion. I wish i had a pickup in mine now. So much
inspiration there for sure. Wicked hook song as per usual!

Pod uke on!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Flash Harry

Fuzz Uke - Nah it does not compute.

But it does! and swirly fuzz uke even more so.

More amazeballs.

Drums up a bit?

Mind you I have just had 3 hours in a rehearsal room in which the vocal though the PA was making my head vibrate so much is was affecting my vision. So ignore my mixing advice.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Jarle

Really cool song. You surely know how to get the most out of an uke. I agree with Flash, the drums could be up a bit. But that could be the drummer speaking.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

Another from your acid-drenched crooner project.  Soaring vocals, great swirling ukes, great drum track........yeah bring up the volume of those awesome drums man.  A great song done in the Hook style that is so unique it hurts, often imitated, but never quite reaching these lofty swirling colourful mountain meadows, with all the soaring birds of prey hovering just overhead.  Wicked on.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

allysonmarie

I love your voice! That held note near the end of the song was a favorite moment as I listened. Great work with all you did to put this together, Hook :)

Johnny Robbo

Brilliant! So original to use a uke with FX like this... great song too. Shades of Bowie, perhaps? Sounds that way to my ears, anyhow. Loved it!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

bruno

Wow Bro, loved the super thick and busy music, with a slow a deliberate vocal melody. Drumming is great on this one as well - and the lyrics. Super track.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600