Should I buy this or that?

Started by Hook, April 08, 2014, 07:52:10 PM

Hook

So I stopped doing cover gigs around 2 years ago since the kids music thing became pretty much full time. I no longer needed the boss me20 that I always used, I also use a looper to layer tunes live so some distortion, flanger, delay & wah are nice for texture. I recently got included in the rotation at 2 different venues here in town & did a gig few weeks ago without effects and have another this Friday and want something. I don't have much $$$ but have found 2 possibilities. A guy in a little guitar shop has a Digitech RP200 for $70, not the best deal in my opinion & not a great effects box but does have an expression pedal.

I really like this little guy though at a pawn shop for $50, the Line 6 pockect pod

I think that the line 6 has much better effects & is perfect for my portable studio set up but is it feasible for a live gig???
Would love your opinions?
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

I'd go for the Pocket POD. The DigiTech has an expression pedal and two switches. These three controls are meant to be foot-operated. But it also has a tiny display, three knobs, and two switches that are meant to be hand-operated. Having hand-operated controls and foot-operated controls in the same box makes no sense to me. You can put the unit on the floor where it's easy to operate the expression pedal and foot switches, but then you can't see the display or operate the other controls without getting down on the floor. Alternatively, you can put the unit on a table where it's easy to see the display and operate the three knobs and two switches, but then you can't operate the expression pedal or foot switches properly. And how would you operate the expression pedal and foot switches when you're recording in Chrysler 300 Studios? I think the Pocket POD would be more convenient. And it seems to have a lot of good effects patches (over 300, I think I read). Plus, you can download a free editor from the Line 6 website that lets you conveniently edit patches and save them back to the Pocket POD. And there's an input for your CD player, iPod or MP3 player.

http://line6.com/pocketpod/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrsO3VyosMc

Info and manual for the DigiTech is here: http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/rp200a

I once bought a DigiTech RPx400 (the big brother of the RP200). It had a lot of nice effects and sounded okay but I took it back to the store the next day. It was just too impractical for me to have foot-operated and hand-operated controls in the same box. I knew it would just end up stashed in the back of a cupboard if I kept it because I couldn't be bothered experimenting with the settings if it was on the floor, and I'd never use the expression pedal and foot switches if it was on a table. So back it went. Several months later, I bought my BR-864. Aside from the fact that it's a great digital recorder, I was much happier with it as an effects unit than the DigiTech because the BR sits on a table where I can operate it conveniently, and it has a jack for a foot switch or expression pedal which sits on the floor (I later bought a Roland EV-5 expression pedal with part of the store credit from the returned DigiTech).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Thanks 64, I think I'm going to get the pod for sure, after hearing the tones on some videos I just can't be without it for my studio. I'm still not sure if it will be practical & functional in a live setting so I'm still going to look for a stomp box type floor unit, a used ME20 or ME30 would be perfect  the right price. I will probably find out Friday night as to the pod's live use functionality but I can't wait to record my uke through it!!!!!!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

thetworegs

FDR who have done quite a few collabs with lately uses a pod it sounds great......

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Speed Demon

Does anyone here have/use a stomp box that will produce a smooth legato guitar sound, minus the dry sterile solid-state sound usually associated with them?

The only solid state device I like is the Rocktron Chameleon. A rack-mounted preamp/effects unit.
Got mine when it was a lot cheaper than the newer models are today. Set me back $760.00 at the time. Worth every penny.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Redler

I recommend Pocket Pod. I purchased it a couple years ago and I like it a lot, although I haven't used it on my recordings.

I use it with re-chargeable batteries and it works well. Good choice for your Cryshler 300 studio!!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

I have the full sized pod and the bass pod, I think line 6 stuff is generally pretty good.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Hook

Ended up getting the Pocket Pod for $40 & finding a used digitech RP70 ($30) for my gig.

It's not the ideal pedal but it'll do for now & I can plug an expression pedal into it, if I can find one cheap. Really all I need is a nice clean sound for my acoustic, a distorted lead & a flanger lead so I'm goin to try (never done before) to make 3 user patches. In the middle will be my clean tone, under it will be my distorted lead & above it will be my flanged out lead. That way it will be easy to maneuver while playing/looping & singing.  I might need a delayed lead in there too but I'll have to see how easy it is to make and organize the patches I need.
Toys!!!!!!!!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Gnasty

Congrats buddy! Yes I would've chosen the pocket pod too but if you wanted an expression pedal you may have looked for
I think the 200 or 400? Can't google it right now but doesn't matter , that pocket pod sounds sweet. I've used my
HD500x for my last few recordings so line 6 is my choice as well. Let's hear your magic!!!

Pod on!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.