Uke hunt

Started by ODH, April 02, 2014, 04:39:47 PM

FuzzFace

Mine is the Lanikai soprano.... at the time I was going for maximum portability and chose the smallest.  I love it and the sound is great.  The storekeeper threw in a soft mandolin case for some reason, which turned out to be great because when travelling I can  wrap my clothes around the uke and fit it in the case and therefore not need a suitcase and bring it on planes as a carry-on.

All that being said, I recently tried a larger uke the other day (a Martin!!) and found it to be more comfortable to play and still pretty portable... we'll see what the future holds... got to save my pennies...

Hilary

You can stretch the strings though on a new uke - a couple of days stretching (literally pulling them up with your fingers) and they should settle down. If you still have a problem then, it's the uke.

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

henwrench

Also with the nature of the uke...(hi-strung with nylon strings, no compensated saddle, or basically any fancy shit) just means that these little cockbags have a fundamental characteristic that equates to the the very alarming truth that they always sound a bit wonky. But they are meant to. A bit....

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

It's all about the tuners brother!! You really want geared tuners & that one that ORH posted has them & would probably be fine. I find most soprano ukes I play have issues on the 1st fret, not a very clean tone, rough on an Fm chord. There is quite a difference between a soprano & a concert in both tone & playability. I loved having the baritone to learn on, size was much closer to guitar which made it easier to get the fingerings right, etc. The baritone can be tuned like a guitar  or up a 5th like the soprano through tenor(special saprano for baritone strings). The bigger the uke the warmer the tone. I didn't want a concert but the Les Paul was the most affordable  uke with a pickup at $100 (+ $30 now) and I really love it!! I do like the feel of a tenor but I cant have one of each...can I?
If you can spend $100 (your equivalent, I am a stupid American) than I would and get something like this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acoustic-ukuleles/lanikai-lu22cgc-concert-ukulele
but if you want to keep the price low check out this baritone. I played the shit out of mine for a year and loved it!!
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rogue-Baritone-Ukulele-107219636-i1150545.gc
Don't buy the Rouge Soprano starter kit though, bad tuners!
Put some Aquila strings on whatever you get & Hilary is right on with the stretching of the strings I do that on both my ukes & my guitars. I find that my ukes all hold their tune quite well

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

FuzzFace

Quote from: Hook on April 03, 2014, 05:04:20 PMif you want to keep the price low check out this baritone. I played the shit out of mine for a year and loved it!!
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rogue-Baritone-Ukulele-107219636-i1150545.gc

Thanks you just saved me $460!

64Guitars

Quote from: Flash Harry on April 02, 2014, 05:29:19 PMFnarr fnarr.

Just realized that you're referring to the subject of this topic.  :D

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Quote from: FuzzFace on April 03, 2014, 06:18:02 PMThanks you just saved me $460!
Hey man, that by no means is a $500 uke, but for $30 it's a gem.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 03, 2014, 07:01:34 PM
Quote from: Flash Harry on April 02, 2014, 05:29:19 PMFnarr fnarr.

Just realized that you're referring to the subject of this topic.  :D

Hey-oh...can't believe I missed that one!   ;) ;D :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Like with getting a new guitar, my best advice is to just try a lot of them, set a limit on how much you're willing to pay and get the one that feels right for you !

Quote from: henwrench on April 03, 2014, 02:24:22 PMAlso with the nature of the uke...(hi-strung with nylon strings, no compensated saddle, or basically any fancy shit) just means that these little cockbags have a fundamental characteristic that equates to the the very alarming truth that they always sound a bit wonky. But they are meant to. A bit....

henwrench
So very true!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........