what guitar amp?

Started by rythmking24, March 13, 2009, 03:05:14 PM

rythmking24

hello folks,

i haven't been on here for a while because i have had a series of guitar nightmares, which involved me purchasing several faulty guitars and then having to exchange them. anyway... that ordeal is over, and i now have a gibson sg special in ebony ;D it's very nice.

anyway, onto the next potential nightmare, i now need a new amp. the one i have ( a fender roc pro 1000 ) is the most unreliable piece of shit ever made. so...

having ended up spending £750 on my new guitar, i am not looking to pay loads for a new amp. around... £300, if it's possible to get an amp that will do my guitar justice for that amount. i will pay more if absolutely neccessary.

anyway, i have read a few reviews of a MARSHALL MG250 DFX. they are mixed, but it seems like a really good value amp (£250). and i also had my eye on a FENDER FM212, having played one in the shop where i got my guitar. that also seems very cheap (£200ish), so i wonder what the catch is?

there are so many amps out there, my head is spinning. ideally, i would like a fender, because i love the tone you get from them. however, marshalls are always a good bet aswell. i would be willing to consider something else, if justified. i mainly play heavy rock/ metal. but i do love to blues/ funk/ jazz it up aswell, hahaha. so... if someone could advise me on this matter, i would be most grateful.

cheers.

hewhoiscalledj

Yikes, sorry to hear about the guitar troubles but I'm glad that all worked out in the end. SGs are mighty fine axes although I'm a Les Paul man myself...

There are so many amps out there that one can easily get lost or swept away. With that said, I'd like to suggest you look into getting a tube amp or "valve" amp as you would be making the most of the lovely tone and sustain of that SG. I'm not sure what type of use you intend for your amp but based on what you are hoping to replace, I'm guessing it's mostly for home use and recording as opposed to playing live with a full band? A combo amp is the way to go and I would suggest amps by Vox, Marshall and my own personal favorite, Laney. These can get very expensive if you are considering 50-100w heads and cabinets, but they all have some wonderful smaller cousins in the 5-15w or even 30w versions. These can be surprisingly loud and can keep up with live drums just fine, although they actually excel as recording amps as you can really crank them and get some very sweet sounding and tube drenched tones.

The used market opens up other options for you, but in your range, I would also consider an Epiphone Valve Junior. It really gives you some serious boutique like tube tone with out any of the useless frills and features found in other amps. Add an overdrive pedal in front of the chain and you could literally entertain yourself and others for hours. I'm sure you could find some great deals on Laneys too since they are a British manufacturer.

I'd be happy to point out some other options for you if you could give a few more details about what you are looking for tone wise and utility wise. For example, will you be playing in a full band setting? Do you need an effects loop, or any other particular details like that.

Peace...

Bro

Well im sorry to hear you don't like the fender amp you are using now, but i would with out a doubt recommend a Fender amp again. Its much more versatile than the marshalls. I think most guitar player who at some point have owned a marshall sold it again because its lack of versatility. Thats my experience take it or leave it. And oh yeah according to the music you like you are going to need the cleanness. I don't know how much of a Fender tube amp you are going to get for 300 $. If i was you i would save the money, and buy something like a Bassman, Hot rod deluxe or a Hot rod Deville. (I know saving money can be hard, i've stood in the same situation, but do it. It will make you happier in the long run).

These are my experiences take it or leave it. And good luck on finding a new amp.  :)      
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

64Guitars

I have a Marshall MG50DFX and I don't like the sound of it. The high frequency response is poor, giving it a very dull tone. I also have a HIWATT DR-504 with a HIWATT 4x12 cabinet. It sounds fantastic but it weighs a ton and is a bugger to lug around. That's why I bought the Marshall. I wanted something small and portable with built-in effects. The features of the MG50DFX are great but they don't compensate for the poor tone. If you want a Marshall, I'd recommend their valve-based models. The MG series is solid state.

I've heard good things about modeling amps like those offered by VOX, Roland, Fender, etc. The modeling technology is similar to that in the BR in that it lets you choose from several different amp sounds. And they usually come with lots of great effects too.

Amp tone is a very personal and subjective thing. So it's always best to try as many amps as you can and make up your own mind rather than giving a lot of consideration to what others like or dislike. I'm always embarrassed to try amps in the music shop (which explains how I ended up with a Marshall that I don't like). If you're the same, you might consider renting an amp for a day or two so you can try it at home or a gig or rehearsal. This allows you to make a much better evaluation than you could possibly do in the shop. And, if you don't like it, you can keep renting different amps until you find one you like. Many shops will apply the rental fee against the purchase of an amp. Also, try to buy from a shop with a good returns policy. Then, if you decide you're not happy with the amp, you can take it back and exchange it for something else.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BossMicroBRew

I don't want to ramble on. There seems to be some good suggs on here already. Google YouTube whatever a Tech21 Trademark 60 (TM60). A friend had one and absolutely loved it. However, eventually sold it to get a fender tube amp. It's a little pricey for what it is, but supposed to sound top-notch.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Tony

I have to agree with the Tech 21 recommendation.  I played through one some time ago and I've been saving for one ever since.  Very nice, well built, gives you the sound of your guitar.

Davo

Hi im new here but I was in your spot not long ago.  Are you planning to use it jamming in your room, or with a band?  Are you gonna play with a drummer?
You say you like Fender cleans-Me too.  I would highly recommend the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.  You can get the cleans of a twin reverb and with a cheap preamp tube swap get wonderful drive sounds out of it.  Its also loud enough for a band but portable enough to use in your room.  It also takes pedals well and has an effects loop.
I did a few other mods to mine but its an all around great amp.
Im not sure where you are located (im guessing Brittain)but times are tough and its a buyers market on craigslist right now. HRD's are going for about $400 locally. 
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

rythmking24

thanks for the response everyone.

there have been some good suggestions, and i am now considering certain amps that i had never even heard of.

just to clarify, i am mainly looking at an amp for practicing with a band (drummer etc...), so yeah...

cheers again.

steve.

guitarron

Quote from: Tony on March 13, 2009, 05:42:59 PMI have to agree with the Tech 21 recommendation.  I played through one some time ago and I've been saving for one ever since.  Very nice, well built, gives you the sound of your guitar.

i've used  the classic sansamp for a long time for recording-the one with the little dip switches on it-fantastic
havent used it much since i got these amp models

amp tone is a very personal preference for sure

last amp i bought was a fender "the twin"-it's a freakin beast

there are so many cheap tube amps out now-remember tho, tube amps will always need much more maintenace and can be somewhat tempermental

solid state, digital stuff are lighter, cheaper somewhat more reliable and may be a more practical choice-

it depends a lot on how and where the amp will used

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

steveblues50

the fm212r is an excellant ,i'd  say top of the line solid state amp.you cannot beat a tube amp,even the cheap ones ie. carvin,blackheart,epi,all sound nice.for playing with a band and being on a budget GO FOR THE FM212,add a boost pedal and you are all set and not one person in your audience will give a shit if your playing thru a tube amp or not,when you have a little more disposable income you get yourself a NICE tube amp.when i say nice i'm thinking fender tube or mesa,mesa,carr,victoria something like that.