Teenage Engineering OP-1

Started by 64Guitars, March 25, 2014, 02:39:07 PM

64Guitars

I know a lot of people here are into small portable music gadgets so I wondered if anyone has checked out the Teenage Engineering OP-1 synth from Sweden. It looks pretty cool.

http://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-mPqvVRDHQ

It has a built-in 4-track recorder which is mainly used for recording the notes you play on the keyboard. But it can also record from the built-in mic, an external mic, Line In, or the built-in FM radio. It has MIDI over USB, so you can plug in a real keyboard or use the OP-1 to control your DAW or other MIDI gear. And it can do sampling using a mic, FM radio, or Line In as sources.

It's a bit expensive ($849 US / £649.00) but the quality of construction, design, and features are excellent, judging by the videos, so it's probably worth the price.

The OP-1 has been available for several years. The reason I mention it now is that they've just released a free update to the OS which adds a Sketch sequencer mode and a new synth. The Sketch sequencer resembles an Etch-a-Sketch. In fact, to erase a sequence, you shake the OP-1. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4fMuWGz00

Anyway, I think the OP-1 looks like a really cool product. It's like a CasioTone on steroids for the 21st century but with much better quality, an excellent range of useful features, and a cool user interface.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

dasilvasings

I have seen it before, and it is a beauty!
All the site is amazing.

a tad expensive for me... but now I have a purpose to rob a bank. Thank you 64!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

I've looked at this and really want one, but I think the price is stopping me ...... for now ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

cuthbert

Looks like fun! But unfortunately, too rich for my blood. Now if it was just half the price...  :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hook

I don't even want it & I want it.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on March 27, 2014, 03:19:00 PMLooks like fun! But unfortunately, too rich for my blood. Now if it was just half the price...  :D

One-tenth the price would be closer to my budget. I do think that it's probably worth the price their asking, but I just don't have that kind of money to spare, especially since it probably wouldn't be my main go-to keyboard. If they made one for $100, it would no doubt be cheap plastic and wouldn't be nearly as appealing. A big part of the attraction for me is that it's a high-end, quality instrument in a Casio-like portable format. I think I'd be willing to pay for that quality if I had the money. It sure would be a lot of fun to play with.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

dasilvasings

I wonder if a modern synth will ever become a collector's item, like we see with some 70's synths.

I have a JP8000 and the price is stable (actually the price is lower because of inflation). I doubt it will make me rich ever . Despite being considered a classic, it is a 90's synth and they were mass produced. It is not difficult to find one at an accessible cost.

Clearly with the OP-1 you are paying for the design (and that's wonderful!) and it is aimed at a niche market => less production => scarcity => long term value?!?

Please agree with me, even if you don't, so I can use this as an argument for my wife!  ;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR