What song triggers a memory or sends you back in time?

Started by kenny mac, March 23, 2014, 01:49:42 PM

kenny mac

On a recent post of mine some guys said the song made them think of a certain time and they remembered what they were doing because of it.
This doesn't need to get personal or deep but I'm interested in what song triggers something in you.
As an example I remember playing in Aberdeen with a band and the song new gold dream reminds me of after the gig we went to a local disco and walking through the entrance into the dance floor and seeing this huge projector screen with simple minds playing on it and that was the song.
The room was filled with dry ice,strobe lights and people with white jumpsuits and belts lol
The song transports me back to that scene...........just asking  ;D

Oldrottenhead

roy orbison's pretty woman. at the age of 10 i experienced nostalgia for the first time. i was ill from school so stayed at my gran's for the day.

she had one of those old radiograms that was like a piece of furniture, so she let me play records.  i remember putting that song on. and it took me back to earlier times at my grans when my aunties would push the furniture to one side when top of the pops came on so they could dance or they would put records on the very same radiogram.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

I can't think of any songs off the top of my head, though I'm sure there are some that will come to me later. But there are several albums that trigger memories.

Santana "Abraxas" - I got this album for Christmas 1970 when I was 14. It still makes me think of that Christmas.

The Beatles "A Hard Day's Night" - I went shopping with my dad to buy this album in 1964 (I was 7 or 8 years old). My dad spotted another Beatles album that came with a free Beatles Wig as a promotion (I think it was "Long Tall Sally"). I was really tempted to buy that one instead so I'd get the wig but, after much consideration, I went with "A Hard Day's Night".

Led Zeppelin II - I was staying with my grandparents one summer and I bought this album when we were out shopping one day. When we got back to their house, my grandfather put the record on his record player for me, turned up the volume and stepped back. Well, when "Whole Lotta Love" started playing, he nearly jumped out of his skin! He grabbed the tone arm of the record player and whipped it off the record pronto. He said something like "What the hell is that! There's something wrong with that record. We better take it back to the store and demand a refund." Meanwhile, I was busting a gut laughing. :D

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hilary

Well this is interesting, so many songs, so many memories . . .

Crowded House - Weather with you - my daughter dancing with Sean to this song at her 5th birthday.

Anything by Buddy Holly - when my dad was alive we all went to see the Buddy Holly Experience in London and had a fabulous time dancing in the aisles.

The Andrew Sisters - Boogie Woogie Bugel Boy - my mum sings this song when she's a bit tipsy :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

danieldesete

shine on you crazy diamond makes me feel nostalgic of teenage happiness all the time.

When I listen to music in my car, I sometimes force myself to link to music with the scenery, and it works. When I listen to the same track somewhere else, the first place comes back, even years after. Just a secret game. Don't ask why I do that, I don't know myself.

daniel
hou hou ha ha

bruno

"Heat of the moment" by Asia always brings me back to my uni days. Nothing to do with the lyrics, its really the overall sound just resonates with me. That is the only song that invokes that as well - odd!

Interestingly, met up with some guys I went to school with last night, we hadn't seen each other for 35 years - crazy! Had a blast :)

recorder
Boss BR-1600

kenny mac

This is turning into a good old nostalgia trip lol
Great hearing your story's ,,,,,music is indeed a powerfull force.
Loved the one mr 64 said about the zep album  ;D

Farrell Jackson

Somebody To Love or White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. Either of those songs always flash me back to my high school days at the after the football game dances. Bands played these songs with an overhead projector projecting the oil in a water tray on the wall behind the band...it was a surreal psychedelic collage man.....lol good and innocent times just being a teenager in the 60's.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

phantasm777

tons of songs from the 60's and 70's. many place me right back to those times when the songs came out. sort of like time traveling!

AndyR

Yeah, it's any music (that I liked) from 79-82 that does it for me, especially if I haven't heard it for a while. Takes me right back to places, people, urges, etc...

And I wonder where they all are now! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on