Transcendence

Started by Bluesberry, March 21, 2014, 06:26:15 PM

Man, how the hell did you do this on an iPad? Wonderful work BB and selfishly I don't care if it does your head in, I want more.  Roscoe
recorder
Boss BR-800

Greeny

How fricking cool is this?! Love the way that stormy, dark opening turns so sweet and melodic. Agree with 64 that there's an ELO / Jeff Lynne feel about this. I also agree that it's your best song so far. Really, really love it.  You need to do a whole album using this feel and technique!

allysonmarie

Incredible work on this track. The layers of sound come together so well and I was easily drawn in by the music.

SwanSong

Incredible for sure. and i surely know what u mean about multi tracking
very time consuming. but the final out put here was well worth the wait.
and effort . hats off 2 u sir. congrats a job well done NEIL.!

phantasm777

great job bluesberry. very interesting song, and great job overall on the recording.

cuthbert

How did I miss this?

Wow, WOW! You've got so much going on here BB, and it's all so very good. I hear the shades of ELO and Genesis mentioned by others, but it's all you and full of proggy goodness. Great guitars and vocals, and the keys really stand out, too. Going to listen to this one a LOT.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Flash Harry

This is incredible Dave, I have to agree with the previous comments, it really is progalicious and progtastic. I too love those stomping chord progressions.

More vox for me in the next mix :)
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bluesberry

Thanks everyone.  This one started out its life on the acoustic.  I was playing around with the D-shape and F-shape on the highest three strings, alternating between the two shapes, working up the neck.......starting at the 3rd fret (G chord) and working up to the 10th fret for the D chord, and then playing the three chorus chords.  That was the progression I had, and I just kept playng around with that for a while.  How do I turn this into a song?  So I developed some verse chords and that was it, a kinda quirky acoustic strummer.    

When it came time to start to record, I grabbed the IPad and banged out the stomping chord progression using a piano sound on one of my apps.  That was the lightbulb moment.  Right there it changed from a simple acoustic song into the Proggy thing it finally became.  So, that stomping piano driven chord riff is the heart of this song, its where it came from and it is what holds it all together.  Without that chord riff, played with piano/organ/E guitar this would be a completly different song, mayby more of a country folk affair, who knows.  Thats the part of writing songs that I love, an idea or riff spawns off into a whole song, seemingly out of nowhere.  The one idea leads to the next idea......etc, until you are so deep down the rabbit hole you don't remember how you got there.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Kenny B

WOW!!!  This is absolutely fantastic BB!!!

Great sounds, production and as usual ... an excellent BB prog arrangement ... NICE!!!

But I really dig the vox and vocal melody the most ... great tune!!!

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

SteveB

BB - Don't know anything about Ipads and such, but this is quite atmospheric however you achieved the results. And the vocal fits and sits beautifully in the mix. It could easily be a 60s/70s LP track. Well done on your endeavour and upload.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon