Meet Me At The Crossroads - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, March 21, 2014, 02:01:45 PM

StephenM

Your quote Andy from page 2 cracked me up. 
Now the dust has settled on it, it's kinda grown on me too... (I tend to go through "oh wow! this is fab, listen to me" as I post, then "oh well, I'll do better next time" after a few days, and if I'm lucky, I end up with "ok, I'm quite happy with wot I did there..." ... this seems to be one of those for me)."
I can absolutely agree that this has a bit of ac/dc vibe but it has another one early on in the rhythm guitar and that is the Bob Seger Silver Bullet band... suffice it to say none of that really matters because you found some great sounds and rocked it to the moon and back.  Of all the kinds of music I listen to this style is my favorite.  I can dig an acoustic guitar and a voice.  Nothing wrong with that and it's not easy to do really.  However I like to rock and this rocks....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

AndyR

Hehe - yeah there's more rocking in the pipeline.
Some of the acoustic songwriting demos are of songs that are actually rockers.
Not blues-based like this. Or... will there be one I don't know I'm going to write in the next few days??!
Actually, that's a good idea... maybe

Anyway, what's interesting to me at the moment is that you've just reminded me that this one was a "forced" creation.
Someone asked for a song with a few specific words in it.
So I decided to write a lecherous Bon Scott AC/DC song, with those words, about her and the stuff she'd been posting (twitter, I think) in the previous week.
She'd come up to London and had broken the the sink in her hotel room. She had to call reception in her underwear.
A day later she'd tweeted that she was all alone in London, did anyone want to take her out to dinner.
I kinda didn't realise that was directed at me.
(We've never actually met, by the way, I guess that was the time it was going to happen if it ever did. She's "Lala" in various songs and posts)

Anyways, she asked for a song, and I forced it out based on her parameters and my decision on how to do it.
The song took hours, the recording weeks! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Note this one is also slated for remastering, it is the very next one in the list.
I have a Studio One Project open with the following in:

Boho and Blazey - DONE
Cold - DONE
Silver Swan - DONE
Nobody Loves You - DONE
Are You Done - DONE (;D)
The Dressing-up Box - IN PROGRESS

Meet Me At The Crossroads is next, there are 8 more in the batch before I'll refresh the versions already posted.

These things are sounding AMAZING now, and all at a marvelous -13.00dB LUFS so that they won't get auto-reduced on most streaming services (alonetone and songcrafters don't anyway).

If you're after rockers - Are You Done is one. After doing this AC/DC pastiche, I did a ZZ-Top one a few months later.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

StephenM

lol... interesting story about the lady wanting dinner and a song!  Careful... those are the kind of things that get you hooked (ha! I know you are married..) 
I am always thinking about crazy stories.  Most of the time though my "songwriting" of lyrics comes from the music.  I listen to what I have created and write down the impressions that come to mind.  It's make it up as I go.  Generally that is.  Once in a while I have lyrics and do a more trad way of writing. 
Obviously you have great imagination.
As far as your list I need to listen to all of it because that way I get to understand the artist a bit better, what drives them, what they are about.  Plus it offers me insight into other directions.  In the end, I could try all day to be you, or EVH or Sammy Hagar or anyone else and it would be impossible to do.  I am learning to try and discover who I am, as a person and as a musician, singer/songwriter whatever... crazy thing is, we can always grow and change as long as we are breathing!
I do get inspired listening to other artists.  For me these days I am more interested in artists that I get to interact with.  that is cool.  I can always listen to Asia but I cannot message Steve Howe and say hey!
There is music on this site that is as good as anything I have ever heard.  Then again... I really love B sides.  Not saying there aren't big hits on the site.  I believe there are.  Generally though until you hear a song about 10 times or more you aren't going to know.  At least that is how it is for me.  Often times I like the songs on the record that don't get played on the radio.  For example on Foreigners first album the song Starrider.  That is such a great song.  It did get play on the AOR stations later but it was well after the hits...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner