Saint Patrick's Day mini-fest

Started by 64Guitars, March 14, 2014, 06:02:26 PM

alfstone

Quote from: danieldesete on March 13, 2018, 01:28:12 AMI thought Hilary meant we could add a mention to fenderbender on the paddy fest banner, to make a kind of tribute ?
Danny boy

+1

Alfredo

P.S....BTW, I had never heard about this "Patty" option...does it mean that "Patty" is someway offensive? Just curious...

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Hilary

I'm offended by the term Paddy - isn't that enough?

Interestingly I'm at lunch at work and my PC has blocked the search 'Paddy' but if you look at my original Wiki link one of the definitions for Paddy is a racial slur for the Irish.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Hilary

If it were St Paddy's Fest then that to me would imply that it's an abbreviation of the name.
PaddyFest to me appears to be a generalization referring to the Irish, which at best is a slang, derogatory term.

I think it would be a wonderful idea honour Tommy on St Patrick's Day each year and to change the name of the Fest to something like Tommy'sFest or Fenderbender'sFest.

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Mike_S

Got to say... speaking as an Irish person, I think it is just the whole PC correct thing going through everything with a fine tooth comb and now it is the turn of St Patrick's Day or Paddy's Day to be assessed. Plenty of Irish people call it Paddy's day as well as St Patricks Day. I just think where is it all going to end up. We will be in a strait jacket and saying practically anything will cause someone offence... I think we all need to chill...
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hilary

Here's a history of the word, for those that aren't aware and I think as a person you are entitled to refer to yourself as you want, Irish or otherwise, but it's an entirely different matter when someone else does it.

https://splinternews.com/a-complete-history-of-the-phrase-paddy-wagon-the-survi-1793855618

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Hilary

I registered my objections privately to the Admin 4 years ago and was ignored and dismissed then - which I dealt with by refusing to participate in the Fest ever since but 64 saying that we should remember Tommy in the PaddyFest upset me enough to voice my opinions again more publicly on the forum.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

64Guitars

If you do a web search of "PaddyFest", you'll find that Songcrafters isn't the only organisation to use that name. There are plenty of respected St. Patrick's Day festivals all over the world that go by the name "PaddyFest".

Here are some examples:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

More things should be offensive!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Groundy

The funny thing is at the music site in Dublin Tommy was registered as grammer but also known as Paddy Knox.

Postby jabra » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:53 pm

So sorry to hear of Grammer's passing R.I.P. I knew Tommy for most of my life both of us being old nogginers.
A lot of people called him Paddy Knox really never got to know why.
Rest well old pal.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Alex.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Hilary

Just because other people do it doesn't make it right.

I completely understand that no malice was intended but this is a welcoming and encouraging online community - even if there is the slightest doubt that this is inappropriate, why would you continue to use it?

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça