WAV/Skydrive questions.... pls help

Started by dragonshade, March 12, 2009, 07:38:08 PM

dragonshade

Hey guys I really need some techincal help  :). Here is my situation... I need to directly import WAV files into my MBR, however... I also need to be able to get them out (directly onto my computer) also in WAV format. During no aspect of the process can the file be compressed in any way (no MP3 conversion, or data loss). On 64Guitars's tutorial I found how to import the WAV, but can I get a pure WAV out of the MBR?

I'm also throwing out 2 other questions in case anyone knows the answers....

I need to keep the qualtiy of the tracks at CD quality 44 16bit with no compression as mentioned above. The originals are WAV files. They were burned onto CD which I guess converts them into CDA files?? Is there compression or data loss in this process? I know the files have to be converted from CDA back into WAV to be uploaded into the MBR is there loss there? I could put the original WAVs onto a flash drive if so, but it is much more inconvient.

Lastly... If anyone is familiar with Skydrive. I want to be able to manipulate the same WAVs files online. I have a Skydrive, and had intended to upload them there however I see there is a 50MB per upload limit. Ripping the file into pieces seems to be the only way to upload them??.....  I believe WAVs are in the 100MB size (pls correct me if I am wrong). What are my options?

Thanks everyone

Ray

64Guitars

Quote from: dragonshade on March 12, 2009, 07:38:08 PMHey guys I really need some techincal help  :). Here is my situation... I need to directly import WAV files into my MBR, however... I also need to be able to get them out (directly onto my computer) also in WAV format. During no aspect of the process can the file be compressed in any way (no MP3 conversion, or data loss). On 64Guitars's tutorial I found how to import the WAV, but can I get a pure WAV out of the MBR?

Yes, you can export any track or track pair as a 44.1kHz, 16-bit WAV file. There are several ways this can be done:

• BR Wave Converter 2.0 (see the instructions which are included in the download)
  • Last steps of the Mastering procedure (see pages 76 and 77 of the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition). In step 15 on page 77, set Type to WAV.
  • Track Export (see pages 112 and 113). In step 6 on page 112, set Type to WAV.

I prefer to use the BR Wave Converter because it's a bit easier and doesn't require any space on the BR's memory card. Also, the BR Wave Converter can export multiple tracks as a batch operation. The Mastering and Track Export methods can only export one track or track pair at a time, and you must have sufficient space available on the BR's memory card to hold the WAV file.

QuoteI need to keep the qualtiy of the tracks at CD quality 44 16bit with no compression as mentioned above. The originals are WAV files. They were burned onto CD which I guess converts them into CDA files?? Is there compression or data loss in this process? I know the files have to be converted from CDA back into WAV to be uploaded into the MBR is there loss there? I could put the original WAVs onto a flash drive if so, but it is much more inconvient.

Did you write the files as an ordinary Audio CD (ie; one that you could play in your car's CD player, for example)? Or, did you write them as a Data CD? If the latter, then they are still wave files. If you put the CD in your computer's CD drive and view the file listing, the extension of each filename should be ".wav" and you can import these directly into the BR. However, if the filename extension is ".cda", then you burned an Audio CD and you'll first have to rip the CD into WAV format. CD audio is stored uncompressed, but in a different format than wave files. There shouldn't be any noticeable change in sound quality after ripping from CDA to WAV, however you'd be much better off recording a Data CD rather than an Audio CD so you can simply import the WAV files directly from the CD into the BR.

QuoteLastly... If anyone is familiar with Skydrive. I want to be able to manipulate the same WAVs files online. I have a Skydrive, and had intended to upload them there however I see there is a 50MB per upload limit. Ripping the file into pieces seems to be the only way to upload them??.....  I believe WAVs are in the 100MB size (pls correct me if I am wrong). What are my options?

Of course, it depends on the length of the song and several other factors, but my WAV files always seem to be well under 50MB. If your individual WAV files are bigger than 50MB, you could consider using MediaFire instead of SkyDrive. I've never tried MediaFire myself so I can't recommend it, but I see that they allow 100MB per file. But why don't you export your files first and see what size they are. You might find that they're smaller than you expected and can be easily uploaded to SkyDrive.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

i just sent a vocal track in wav format to alfredo in italy via shydrive, it is the way forward, also if you are collaborating you can actually send the br song folder with drum pattern arranged via skydrive but have to rar it as one file. you can get away with maybe bass and rythm guitar added but more than two tracks file gets to large, but if you send song folder with just drum pattern its a lot more managable then anyone collaborating are all singing from same hymn sheet so to speak.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

alfstone

I think that the best solution for this kind of things is Dropbox

http://www.dropbox.com/

By far the best: the limit is 2Gigabytes, not the 50 Megs of SkyDrive, it synchronizes in background, you may share everything with the ones you choose, and synchronizes regardless of the O.S.: Windows, Mac etc, no problem at all...I use it since years now both for my collaborations with Roberto for P.O.S.C. music and for the Wild Ducks albums with GianniC. Never a problem.

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra