A bit quiet ...

Started by bruno, March 10, 2014, 01:55:53 AM

Hilary

Quote from: bruno on March 22, 2014, 11:44:16 AMThat was when is was really bad - we are limited to ADSL which is 8M down, 350K up max. Not on fibre in the village, but its coming next year I think thank God. Have been on the phone on and off for the last 6 weeks or so, and BT are blomin rubbish. Its not great now - but at least its useable - we should get 6M, but getting around 900K in peak, 1 to 2 M during the day, at 7M at 3am!!!! 

3am sounds good, you could set your alarm :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

64Guitars

Quote from: bruno on March 22, 2014, 11:44:16 AMIts not great now - but at least its useable - we should get 6M, but getting around 900K in peak, 1 to 2 M during the day, at 7M at 3am!!!!

That shouldn't happen with ADSL. I remember years ago that one of the big selling points of ADSL was that you basically had your own direct line to the local switching station, so it didn't matter how many other people were online at the same time. With cable, you're sharing with other cable users in your neighbourhood, so the more people that are online, the slower your speed. Of course, cable is generally faster than ADSL, so the slowdown might not be very noticeable. But my point is that you shouldn't be seeing such a big difference in speed between daytime and night-time. There are other factors, of course. The internet is generally much busier during the day so servers can slow down, for example, making things a bit slower during the day. But the difference shouldn't be that big.

It's also interesting that your test results show that you're getting faster uploads than downloads. That shouldn't happen. No matter how slow things get, your download speed should always be faster than your upload speed. That's the way the modems are made. If you look at modem specs, you'll find that they always have a faster download speed than their upload speed.

Weird. I hope you can get it sorted soon.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Quote from: Blooby on March 10, 2014, 10:32:56 AM
Quote from: Flash Harry on March 10, 2014, 10:03:06 AMThere's a time to reap and there's a time to sow.

Oddly, I use Reaper as my DAW, does this mean anything?

Only if you have a large swine in the house as well.
::) ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Flash Harry

Quote from: Geir on March 27, 2014, 02:13:14 PM
Quote from: Flash Harry on March 10, 2014, 10:03:06 AMThere's a time to reap and there's a time to sow.

Not seen higgins down here for ages...
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: Flash Harry on March 27, 2014, 05:26:13 PM

grunt grunt
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

Quote from: oldrottenhead on March 27, 2014, 05:46:38 PM
Quote from: Flash Harry on March 27, 2014, 05:26:13 PM

grunt grunt

lol
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

- Kurt Vonnegut.