"2 Monkeys & A Panda" a Hook original

Started by Hook, March 03, 2014, 01:07:09 PM

Bluesberry

dude, the drums sound fantastic, great song all around.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Flash Harry

Ooh well this is rather down-beat for the Hookey one, introspecive with some pretty amazing uke playing.

My daughter has got me into watching Modern Family, it's really quite sophisticated gentle humour and the characters are entertaining. I've not seen this episode - I will have to ask the golden haired one.

Nice song Hook, It's mellowed me out after a particularly trying week.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

bruno

Quite a different pace for you Bro, but really enjoyed this one - a real breezy track. Excellent balance to this one - loved the openness of the sound, and the drums sound 'real' in the true sense of the word, and everything has its place. The vocal are excellent, and quite understated - matches the feel of the song perfectly.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Blooby

This is a super nice vocal delivery on this one. As much as I like the drums, I wonder what this would sound like without them. I only say that because I think the vocals would stand out even more.

Another great Hook post.

Blooby

Don't know the TV series but I do know I like this, it has all the great ingredients I expect from a Hook number. Love it.  Roscoe
recorder
Boss BR-800

Hook

Thanks for the all the kind words friends, especially about the drums. I don't think I enjoy playing any instrument more than drums & this little kit (YDD60) sure does satisfy my needs. Being used (& heavily abused by kids I suspect) it has a few quirks & the hi hat & bass drum pedals aren't much to write home about but I am kinda proud of my bass drum work on this track.
Quote from: Blooby on March 08, 2014, 06:31:22 AMAs much as I like the drums, I wonder what this would sound like without them. I only say that because I think the vocals would stand out even more.

Blooby
Blooby- I almost posted it just the live uke/vocal take. Since I hardly use a click track, there is one noticeable tempo variance in the 1st verse & it took me a while to be able to anticipate it with the drums. I initially had the high hat doing eighth notes & I dropped it down to quarter notes & I was able to follow the track to somewhat mask the short tempo dip. Perhaps I'll remix without drums just for fun.

Quote from: IanR on March 04, 2014, 04:02:10 AMBTW Do you like Husker Du?  I can hear you doing a cover of one of theirs.  A uke version I think?

Yes sir I do, Land Speed Record was the background to much of a young Hook's life. Me thinks, you Makes Alot Of Sense!!!

Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

henwrench

Great tune and has been said, the violin is superb. Agree with Blooby about the drums, I think a drum-less version or even a lower drum kit and (dare I say it) a little more reverb on 'em could be worth a whirl.

Husker Du were/are great, been on a bit of a nostalgia trip with 'em recently. Try and check out Grant Harts 'Good News For Modern Man' if you haven't heard it. A lost classic?

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

allysonmarie

Wonderful work with the instruments :) Every element comes through so well.