Butterflies

Started by Blooby, February 15, 2014, 01:54:56 PM

Blooby

Latest gig is tonight, and that same damn anxiety is back.  I didn't have any for the last 20 gigs or so, and these last two gigs have really kind of freaked me out.  Even snapped at one of my co-workers today I think because of it. Not good. Unfortunately, I find the best remedy to be booze.

Is there a thread somewhere about getting over nerves?

Blooby

Flash Harry

You gotta stop caring and start delivering.

I know people who suffer from dreadful nerves, others enjoy the playing experience, keep it personal, you're there for you not the ones watching you.

And break a leg.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

IanR

This is my advice.  I'm sure that others will agree and disagree. I offer it from lots of trial and plenty of error.

My advice is that self medicating with booze has lots of issues.  Don't do it.  I don't think are many things we do better after drinking.  Its usually the opposite.  You might think that you feel looser and more creative with booze but its not true. 

All the cliches are true: to get over fear, planning and practice are invaluable.  Treat each performance like a job interview.  Make sure that you respect and recognise your talent and remember that people have decided that they want to be with you when you perform.  Oh, and make sure that you act is one that you would like to see yourself. That should be enough. 

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Blooby

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was getting wrecked on booze, but I enjoy having a few while we play, never to point where the music suffers, though. I say that with confidence.

Well, it wasn't a great gig in the end, but for weird reasons.  We played a strong first set, and people were reacting (tough in what amounts to a sports bar...no sound but TV's on all over the place).  The manager came up to us at set break and said we were great, but we needed to keep it up-tempo.  We dropped our down-tempo tunes, played strong in the second set, but lost our dynamics (since everything was up-tempo).  Several customers went out of their way to say how they enjoyed us, but the staff seemed like they were non-plussed.  It's the kind of place where right after we finished, they would crank up lousy contemporary music or rap.  Just terrible stuff. John was told other acts there do current top 40, which I can't do.  I refuse.  Yucky.  Blech.

A strange evening.  John and I agreed we aren't crazy about playing this particular venue. We have another gig on the schedule there next month, so I'll try to keep an open mind.

On the other hand, we have a slot in a local music-in the park series next week, and we decided to do one long medley without breaks. Makes me smile just thinking about it. The odd part is it was John's (Lurker's)  suggestion...that wacky guy.

Blooby

IanR

Sorry for the previous rant. 

I'm glad you did well.  It must be difficult in those circumstances.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Blooby

Quote from: IanR on March 07, 2014, 10:19:33 PMSorry for the previous rant. 

I'm glad you did well.  It must be difficult in those circumstances.

No offense taken. I have gone overboard a few times. Bar tabs can be a dangerous thing.

When John and I first started playing, we got our foot in the door in a place that would only pay through $50 bar tabs for each person playing, and no credit would carry over.  After a $15 meal, you felt you were cheating yourself if didn't try to imbibe $35 bucks in beer. Those were the days of pretty abstract second sets.

Peace.

Blooby

Geir

Quote from: Blooby on March 08, 2014, 06:25:44 AM
Quote from: IanR on March 07, 2014, 10:19:33 PMSorry for the previous rant.  

I'm glad you did well.  It must be difficult in those circumstances.

No offense taken. I have gone overboard a few times. Bar tabs can be a dangerous thing.

When John and I first started playing, we got our foot in the door in a place that would only pay through $50 bar tabs for each person playing, and no credit would carry over.  After a $15 meal, you felt you were cheating yourself if didn't try to imbibe $35 bucks in beer. Those were the days of pretty abstract second sets.

Peace.

Blooby
after 2 1/2 beers ??? ;D ;D ;D  .... oh wrong country ... my bad ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

No advice for nerves, but please do more videos i made a few for my friend stix and he emails links to venues and gets lots of work as a result.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Lurker

Blooby, you drink?!!  Alcohol?  I'm shocked!  How could I have missed this?

By the way, I've got a new 12 year old single malt Irish whiskey in the cabinet.  It's not the best, but it is smooth.

When I get nervous, I try to vomit on Bruce.  Calms me right down.