Ebows

Started by Greeny, March 10, 2009, 11:23:11 AM

Blooby

Bear_Creek_128
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Quote from: BossMicroBRew on March 11, 2009, 11:12:39 AMQuestion: I wonder of there is there any kind of feedback or residual sound if they get close to pickups; active or passive.

Nope.  The biggest problem with them can be unwanted string noise...as in rubbing the actual unit across adjacent strings.

Here's an acoustic double-tracked improvisation that was posted some time ago with some subtle Ebow in spots on it.

Original thread located here: https://songcrafters.org/community/post-your-work/this-thing-runs-on-batteries!/msg3440/#msg3440

Hope this helps matters.

Peace.

Blooby

Davo

Howdy!   Word on the street is they are not super usable live.  Interesting texture though.

REM did a track with one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0O_QD-UZ8M
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

guitarron

Quote from: Davo on March 15, 2009, 09:07:35 PMHowdy!   Word on the street is they are not super usable live.  Interesting texture though.

why is that ? is it because it needs to be mic'd while playing live guitar i guess i could see why this

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

There is no issue with using one live.  They take a couple batteries, and you throw a switch.  A magnetic field is generated, and if you put one or both of two runners on an adjacent string or strings, the chosen string will vibrate.  The sound comes through your regular pickups, or it can be heard just fine with an unamplified acoustic guitar.  The only issue live (or recording) I can fathom has to do with accurately lining up the Ebow to the chosen string.  Sometimes, there is string rattle, but with anything, practice makes perfect.

It's a pretty simple device, but it generates a pretty unique sound.

Blooby

guitarron

i see-makes sense-pretty cool device

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

I'd better start saving up for one...  ;D

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

I blew my wad on the new Tangelwood. Oo err Mrs  :D

Davo

Quote from: guitarron on March 16, 2009, 02:49:27 PM
Quote from: Davo on March 15, 2009, 09:07:35 PMHowdy!   Word on the street is they are not super usable live.  Interesting texture though.

why is that ? is it because it needs to be mic'd while playing live guitar i guess i could see why this

The issues come more from being restricted to single notes/strings at a time.  Also from switching between the bow and regular picking during the course of a song.  I know two guitarists who use em-both guys are lone guitarists in their bands.  Its not impossible just not as easy.
Its not a mic issue unless you are using an acoustic without pickups.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

guitarron

that makews sense-takes practice i would imagine

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder