Town Without Pity Chappers covers Montrose covering Gene Pitney

Started by chapperz66, February 09, 2014, 01:22:22 PM

chapperz66

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

It's been a while since I've posted anything.  Life took over for a couple of years although I popped in (in lurking mode) regularly.

Let's see if I can remember how to do this...

Always been a fan of Ronnie Montrose, and in my ignorance I assumed that he wrote this when I heard it on vinyl years ago.  Turns out it was a hit for Gene Pitney.  Anyway - here's my take on it.

Hope you like it.

Paul

chapperz66

No - it looks like I don't remember how to do it.... I'll try again later.

Got it - when in doubt read the instructions....RTFM

Farrell Jackson

Well done Paul! I remember the Pitney and Montrose versions. The layoff doesn't seemed to have dulled any of your guitar skills...great playing!
Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

64Guitars

Nice to hear something new from you, Paul. It has been a while. And what a fabulous comeback performance! Excellent guitar playing and production. I'm familiar with Gene Pitney's hit single of "Town Without Pity" from 1962 but I didn't know that Ronnie Montrose had covered it. I'm really only familiar with the 1973 debut album by Montrose, which is fantastic.

By the way, Gene Pitney didn't write the song. It was written by Dimitri Tiomkin and lyricist Ned Washington and recorded by Pitney for the 1961 film "Town Without Pity" starring Kirk Douglas.

So this is really Chappers covering Montrose covering Gene Pitney's performance of a song written by Dimitri Tiomkin and Ned Washington for a Gottfried Reinhardt film written by Manfred Gregor, George Hurdalek, Jan Lustig, Silvia Reinhardt and Erwin C. Dietrich and starring Kirk Douglas, E.G. Marshall, Robert Blake, Richard Jaeckel, Frank Sutton, Mal Sondock, Alan Gifford, Barbara Rütting, and Christine Kaufmann.   ;D

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

I know I've heard the version by Gene Pitney a few times in the past - I like your version better! Flying fingers on those guitars, and a solid arrangement beneath them. Welcome back!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

i'm not familiar with this one, tho i have always loved gene pitney, not really that familiar with ronie montose either, tho am aware of them.

i digress, great to hear and see you back paul. and what a way to comeback too, fab playing and great production.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

GREAT to have you back Paul! I always enjoy your posts.

This is absolutely fabulous ! I love your guitartone here. Almost dry, nowhere to hide, and certainly no need to, 'cause the playing is exceptional! WOW WOW WOW !!!

I'M A FAN !!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Speed Demon

Welcome back, Paul!
Best version I've ever heard of this song. Far surpasses the original.

Well done!

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

steelguitar

Everybody say it's a fantastic tune..
But I don't know why, I have a empty thing with no player at all!!! I can not listen to your tune! :(

Can you post a link where it is possible to listen to it, please?

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Flash Harry

Fantastic! What a brilliant track - awesome guitarwork.

Nice to see you around

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.