Building Bridges - the middle eight

Started by Flash Harry, February 07, 2014, 05:04:54 PM

Flash Harry

I was lucky enough to catch the last few minutes of a Radio4 documentary today, Midge Ure was exploring the 'Middle 8' with a few guests and examples. It's on iPlayer - worth a listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s3791
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

64Guitars

That was very interesting. The middle eight is an important part of a song's structure and I think it's something that amateur songwriters often overlook. If a song is more than two minutes long, you need some sort of break in the middle. I suppose the classic guitar solo serves the same purpose. But guitar solos are often played against the same chords as the verse and/or chorus. I think a solo is more interesting when it's played over a proper middle eight that's different than the verses and chorus. And a middle eight featuring vocals instead of a guitar solo can be even more interesting.

I think song structure is very important and each section should be distinct from the others. One good way to accomplish this is to change the instrumentation in the chorus and middle eight. So, for example, if your verses are mostly just acoustic guitar, try adding some electric guitar and/or keyboards to the chorus. But when the chorus ends, drop the electric guitar and keyboards and go back to just acoustic. That contrast between the verses and chorus can make the song more interesting than if you just play the same instruments all the way through the song.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

SharksDontSleep

I guess you have to be brave to move into unchartered territory during the middle 8.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
One that doesn't (in my humble opinion) is Jesus He Knows Me - Genesis
Now, I'm no great Genesis fan, but I really like this song ... Until the buggering reggae bit in the middle.
For me, it completely ruins the flow of the song.
Other pet hate is the obligatory key change.

Rant over ... And breathe ;)

Hilary

Very interesting thanks and only a day left to listen for those that want to and haven't got around to it yet.

Yes Flash, minor 3rd was a great tip. Others

* 30s/40s standard - 8 bars of A x 2 - middle 8, 8 bars of A (interesting - no chorus)
* cycle of 5ths and recapitulation
* change tempo (faster or slower)
* instrumental bridge (as 64 states, change of instrument)
* any length bridge - "middle 1"
* banging home the message of the song in the bridge
* relative minor for the chorus

I also really liked the performances and will be checking out Boo Hewerdine's version of Whispering Grass.

All good things to think about and well worth a try at some point (for me anyway)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça