What's your favourite old prog rock

Started by knniggits, March 09, 2009, 04:06:09 PM

Blooby

You and your evil, evil ways!

What manner of conjurer are you (or is "ye" more prog?)?

Blooby

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Blooby on July 07, 2009, 04:51:07 PMYou and your evil, evil ways!

What manner of conjurer are you (or is "ye" more prog?)?

Blooby

Only to protect my own sanity, did I use the magical powers to conjure up The Lost Post. :o  Sorry if it has destroyed yours!

... Or am I?

;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bluesberry

Here we go again, remember the last time it was The Lost Song, and it ended up making Gier vanish to the depths for a while (Nirvana, Heaven, Hell, Valhalla? who knows, only Geir knows, and he's not talking until his next song is written).  I am starting to feel all weird and light, like I am floating.........damn musicians.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 07, 2009, 04:09:02 PMMuse?  Are you f-ing kidding me?  Nigel, it sounds like you just have a beef with Mr. RottenHead.  You would dare even consider Muse to be prog, yet discount Soft Machine and Lips?  Remember your own "time-warp" definition when considering Muse. ;D

Aha! You fell into my cunning trap! Well, actually I thought I had fallen into it because on the surface you are right. Muse certainly have prog leanings I think. So I thought I would have to admit I was wrong. But on thinking about it, you may be confusing "progressive" with "recent". Just because they are modern, doesn't necessarily mean they have moved anything forward. Their music certainly has nothing particularly new in it IMO. It is a clever blend of classically influenced rock with a very heavy dose of Queen, and increasingly a pop sensibility. Nothing new there. Their strengths are that they are young, good looking (so I am told), brilliant musicians and performers and they write good songs. They deserve their reputation as a mega band but I don't think they are pushing any musical boundaries (in fact they have made "prog" fashionable IMO, part of what got me doing more proggy stuff). The one area they do innovate is in Matt Bellamy's guitar playing - the first guy to really exploit the "electric" aspect of the guitar since Beck, Hendrix et al experimented with feedback.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 07, 2009, 04:09:02 PMMuse?  Are you f-ing kidding me?  Nigel, it sounds like you just have a beef with Mr. RottenHead.  You would dare even consider Muse to be prog, yet discount Soft Machine and Lips?  Remember your own "time-warp" definition when considering Muse. ;D

Quote from: Ferryman on July 08, 2009, 02:28:27 AMMuse certainly have prog leanings I think.

"Prog leanings" does not make a band prog! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Greeny

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 08, 2009, 06:26:58 AM

Quote from: Ferryman on July 08, 2009, 02:28:27 AMMuse certainly have prog leanings I think.

I've never really thought of Muse as prog. For me, they're just aping Radiohead in too many ways for me to like them or rate them particuarly highly. Don't get me wrong, Matt Bellamy is an ultra-talented and highly experimental kind of guitarist. But that's the problem - he's TOO good. I can't stand self-conscious 'cleverness' of that magnitude. In fact, I'd like to give him a good kicking. There - I said it!

* stand back and waits for the fireworks *

lol

Oldrottenhead

Quotethey're just aping Radiohead
thats a band i would consider progressive , they continually push the boundaries and experiment , i dont always like what they do, but at least the are trying to be different and original
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Weird. I wouldn't put Radiohead and Muse in the same category. Radiohead to me are alternative, indie and almost modern shoegazers, certainly very experimental in places. Muse to me are a prog oriented rock band that listened to a lot of Queen but dropped the pantomime clowning of Freddie (although kept the histrionic vocals and Brian May-ish guitar). I never saw any similarity between the two.

Just shows how personal all this stuff is! This has been a fascinating discussion but shows how hard it is to classify anything. But it's fun trying. I guess we will have to agree to have Jim prog(ressive) and Nigel (time warp) prog. I sure we can create a few more sub genres as well.

BTW Tim, no probs about your view on Mr Bellamy. Great guiatrist, produces amazing sounds and has done great things with a Kaoss pad but is certainly an odd chap. Wouldn't wan't to stand in your way. There's very few "stars" that I would actually want to know as people! 

And finally, here's my Radiohead claim to fame - I used to have the same hairdresser as them. The girl that cut my hair when we lived not far from Oxford also styled their hair. Stupidly I never went to see them when they were still playing the smaller venues around Oxford.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

Quote from: Greeny on July 08, 2009, 06:42:39 AM
Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 08, 2009, 06:26:58 AM

I've never really thought of Muse as prog. For me, they're just aping Radiohead in too many ways for me to like them or rate them particuarly highly. Don't get me wrong, Matt Bellamy is an ultra-talented and highly experimental kind of guitarist. But that's the problem - he's TOO good. I can't stand self-conscious 'cleverness' of that magnitude. In fact, I'd like to give him a good kicking. There - I said it!

* stand back and waits for the fireworks *

lol

Can i fire the first one back!!! Muse, in my opinion, are the best British band around at the minute and have in Matt Bellamy THE most talented guitarist/pianist/singer/songwriter that we have produced for many a year.

Seeing them live is a great experience, and were they truly excel.

Just my opinion, thats all!!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I'm a huge radiohead fan, btw... !

I saw them at one of their Victoria Park 'tent' gigs, but never shared a hairdresser, lol

Jonny Greenwood = understated genius

Matt Bellamy = smug genius

That's the difference for me!

Maybe I'm just jealous of how good he is  :D