What's your favourite old prog rock

Started by knniggits, March 09, 2009, 04:06:09 PM

Greeny

Quote from: Ferryman on July 07, 2009, 03:34:15 AM
Quote from: Greeny on July 07, 2009, 02:08:36 AMDo The Wombles count?!  :D

Hmmm, well they have ridiculous costumes, a whole concept behind them, so.....

But I don't remember Uncle Bulgaria's penchant for silk kimonos and samurai swords, nor Madame Cholay's 30 minute dulicimer solos, so probably not.... :D

Cheers,

Nigel

Chris Spedding was Wellington!!!!!!!

Oldrottenhead

QuotePS: I enjoyed reading Nigel's argument with ORH about The Flaming Lips (my favorite CURRENT band), and can see both sides completely.  I don't think a band necessarily has to have concept albums (although the Lips do have at least two) and lyrics including wizards, fairies, leprechauns, spaceships, Bible passages, ancient civilizations, forests, mythological beasts, etc., nor does one necessarily need to have 20-minute songs or excessive keyboard, drum, and guitar solos to be considered "progressive."  Nigel, if you just take the definition of "progressive" and look at it objectively and separately from the already established phrase "progressive rock" or "prog rock," you will understand ORH's point.  I mean, Zaireeka, for shit's sake ... come on!  What's more progressive than that?
i have always defined prog rock as something that pushes the boundarys of music and  trys new, different and experimental things, by that definition zaireeka by the laming lips should be the number 1 prog rock album ever. lmfao
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Quote from: Greeny on July 07, 2009, 03:46:25 AMChris Spedding was Wellington!!!!!!!

LOL, I thought I recalled that while I was typing the response but wasn't sure. What a come down, but it pays the rent!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 07, 2009, 04:40:09 AMi have always defined prog rock as something that pushes the boundarys of music and  trys new, different and experimental things, by that definition zaireeka by the laming lips should be the number 1 prog rock album ever. lmfao

Well said, ORH -- I concur!  Most people don't even have the equipment nor the coordination it takes to listen to the album the way it was meant to be heard.  How utterly pretentious and absurd ... AND AWESOME!!! ;D ;D

Quote from: Geir on July 07, 2009, 03:00:06 AMOne band nobody has brought up is Kansas! Not hardcore prog maybe but still !! Listened to a lot of their work, .... well I have almost every record they made :)

Geir, that's so funny -- I wanted to bring up Kansas, but I feared the Wrath of Nigel, so didn't do it just in case he thought they didn't qualify! ;D  Luckily, Kerry Livgren's hair is ridiculous enough ...
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Greeny

Ferryman

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 07, 2009, 09:34:29 AMI wanted to bring up Kansas, but I feared the Wrath of Nigel, so didn't do it just in case he thought they didn't qualify!

And you are right to fear it!!! Upset me and I will be round at your house to read you a selection of Michael Moorcock poems dressed as a Slipperman from the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

Fear my wrath

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: Ferryman on July 07, 2009, 01:38:14 AMTed, I may be wrong  ;) but Brand X are more jazz than prog. They went in a direction I couldn't follow (as you'll understand from my post).
Don't know David Sancious, will have to check him out and also listen to more UK.

I'm not much of a Jazz fan. Nonetheless, I lean a little toward the Jazz side of the Prog spectrum. David Sancious and UK are on that side of the spectrum too.

Damn you, Prog, for tricking me into listening to Jazz!

Product is probably the most accessible album by Brand X -- a couple of songs were almost radio-friendly at the time.

Prog (like Punk) is kind of hard to define.  I fall back on my Subjective Definitions:

• If it makes me feel like breaking things (other than the source of the sound), it's probably Punk.
  • It it makes me feel ashamed of my own musicianship (and ashamed that I might be caught listening to it) it's probably Prog.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

brand x are more jazz than prog?, so what are soft machine more prog than jazz?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Nah, Soft Machine have too much jazz to be prog. They are jazz rock. Hatfield and the North varied between the two, some of their stuff got a bit too jazzy. Gong the same - went very jazzy at stages but still had bonkers hippy prog at their core.

Next question please.

BTW Bosko, nailed it again! And if everyone else is ashamed of your musicianship, it's probably jazz.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

QuoteNah, Soft Machine have too much jazz to be prog.
QuoteSoft Machine were an English rock band from Canterbury, named after the book The Soft Machine by William S. Burroughs. They were one of the central bands in the so-called "Canterbury scene," and helped pioneer the progressive rock genre.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann