What's your favourite old prog rock

Started by knniggits, March 09, 2009, 04:06:09 PM

Oldrottenhead

re yes its gotta be the yes album , fragile and close to the edge i never much liked em after relayer, tho bits of topographic ocean get me going.

but everyone should listen to pawn hearts by van der graaf generator the finest album ever.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

Quote from: mr2cool on March 11, 2009, 04:05:51 AMSteely Dan

Oh yeah, Donald Fagin - one of my favourite tracks, the new frontier
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Quote from: Flash Harry on March 11, 2009, 06:59:28 AM
Quote from: mr2cool on March 11, 2009, 04:05:51 AMSteely Dan

Oh yeah, Donald Fagin - one of my favourite tracks, the new frontier

I never knew that, Mike! It's one of mine too.... !

The lines...

"when I finally make up my mind
to learn design
and study overseas"

... have always resonated big-time.

What a song!!!!

Flash Harry

Quote from: Greeny on March 11, 2009, 08:04:12 AMI never knew that, Mike! It's one of mine too.... !

Hells bells, I've got ORH and the Blue Nile on the other side too. Amazing.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

QuoteHells bells, I've got ORH and the Blue Nile on the other side too. Amazing.
whadya mean
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Blue Nile's "Let's Go Out Tonight" still gives me tingles...  :)

Ferryman

Quote from: 3guitarsEddy on March 10, 2009, 06:50:11 AMIf my memory serves me correct 'Gentle Giant' evolved from Simon Dupree and the Big Sounds and I thing they hailed from the Soton area. I also believe they went to the states and thats when they hit the big time.

Regards

Eddy

They did indeed evolve from Simon Dupree and the Big Sound. Saw them several times in the 70s.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: oldrottenhead on March 09, 2009, 04:48:32 PMheres peter hammill with pfm had to shrink to 96kbps despite it saying 128.

check out also gentle giant.

brian eno before and after science and another green world, the song kings lead hat sounds like it was written tomorrow.

any incarnation of king crimson, the album lizard my fave, guest appearance by jon anderson,

bebop deluxe, looked down upon cos they had hit singles but if you think brian eno is clever  get to know bill nelson. bill nelsons red noise was like prog punk check out the song revolt into style or furniture music.

current band who i would class as prog,  am not shifting on this one, are the flaming lips. any band that releases a 4cd set that has to be played on seperate hifis simultaneously if thats not prog wot is lol.

I have to introudce some disagreement on this otherwise so agreeable forum. ORH, in no way can Brian Eno ever be classed as prog. He is the epitome of cool and never dabbled in pixies, wizards, cloaks and 20 minute guitar solos. Similarly Flaming Lips, where's their concept album and 9/8 sections? Not prog in my book, sorry :D

Prog is Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Wakeman, ELP, Hawkwind et al. My fave is Foxtrot-era Genesis and of course King Crimson.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

QuoteSimilarly Flaming Lips, where's their concept album
i knew i would start an argument on that lol.

just one word zaireeka http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:d9frxqrjld0e flaming lips are aboutone of my favourite current band, i am not dissing them when i refer to them as prog, but imho they are definetley in the prog spectrum.

brian eno (genuis) no pussyfooting with robert fripp

QuoteBrian Eno ever be classed as prog. He is the epitome of cool and never dabbled in pixies, wizards, cloaks and 20 minute guitar solos.
that may be your description of prog, my definition is someone that is progressing or moving music on and forward.vdgg are pretty much described as prog but i cant think offhand about them dabbling in wizards, pixies and cloaks and 20 minute guitar solo tho the flaming lips mmmmmmmmm think about it your firming up my case. lol.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

guitarron

Quote from: oldrottenhead on March 11, 2009, 05:36:19 AMre yes its gotta be the yes album , fragile and close to the edge i never much liked em after relayer, tho bits of topographic ocean get me going.

but everyone should listen to pawn hearts by van der graaf generator the finest album ever.

agreed on the old stuff is good
drama, 90124 were big in the states causing a "new generation" of yes fans -"Tempus Fugit" (spelling?) is a masterpiece

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand