What's your favourite old prog rock

Started by knniggits, March 09, 2009, 04:06:09 PM

knniggits

Hey Prive is that a Warr Guitar,i'd love to hear you playing that. I listen to Behold the Arctopus that use a warr guitar,they're pretty experimentle and not to everyones taste.
Getting some really great suggestions,Steve Hillage,Gentle Giant. I can hear where some of my favourite bands got their influences from. Keep them coming.
He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy!

knniggits

Can you suggest a Yes album i should check out guitarron.
Spocks Beard are real cool,why have i not heard of them? Daft name though  :D
He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy!

StevieM

OK, not exactly prog rock, but I dug this old album out. It's called
Wowie Zowie, The World Of Progressive Music. Released in '69 I think it was just after progressive stopped being called underground :)
Track list---
Down at Circes Place-- Touch
Where Did I Belong--- John Mayall
Train to Nowhere---Savoy Brown
Voodo Forest----Johnny Almond
Communion---East of Eden
In the Beginning---Genesis
Nights in White Satin----Moody Blues
Computer Lover---William H Strickland
Go Away, Come Back Another Day--John Cameron Quartet
Not Foolish, Not Wise---Keef Hartley Band

I think probably a big WHO???? with some of those?

How about Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention,  Captain Beefheart?
Have to go through My Vinyl, see what else is there. Doing it a bit anyway, putting 'em on to MP3.

And Tim, thanks sooooo much for your " My Dad used to go on about King Crimson".        I remember them forming!!!! Didn't think it was that long ago 'cos still hear them quite a bit. Now I just feel bloo*y old :'(
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

guitarron

Quote from: knniggits on March 10, 2009, 09:58:54 AMCan you suggest a Yes album i should check out guitarron.
Spocks Beard are real cool,why have i not heard of them? Daft name though  :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_discography
i like the Drama era-but it's all pretty good stuff

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

Quote from: knniggits on March 10, 2009, 09:58:54 AMCan you suggest a Yes album i should check out?

I enjoy stuff from their entire career, including post-Drama and their first couple albums, but without reservation, I would start with Fragile, The Yes Album, and Close to the Edge.  I think most fans would agree this period represents their peak.

I don''t think Going For the One, Relayer, and Tormato were quite as consistently strong (although Fragile has some odds and ends for sure), and Tales From Topographic Oceans is just too much for a lot of folks (especially as an introduction). 

Two cents for the day.

Blooby

guitarron

Quote from: Blooby on March 10, 2009, 03:38:55 PM
Quote from: knniggits on March 10, 2009, 09:58:54 AMCan you suggest a Yes album i should check out?
Fragile, The Yes Album, and Close to the Edge.  I think most fans would agree this period represents their peak.

I don''t think Going For the One, Relayer, and Tormato were quite as consistently strong (although Fragile has some odds and ends for sure), and Tales From Topographic Oceans is just too much for a lot of folks (especially as an introduction).   

Two cents for the day.

Blooby

that's a good start-the travor rabin stuff was good- a bit of a departure from the Steve Howe stuff
i have seen them about 3 or 4 times over the years
best show i saw had rick wakeman on the tour about 5 or 6 yrs ago

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StevieM

I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

mr2kewl

"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

Blooby

Is that Dr. Zaius?  Hmmm, Rick Wakeman....hmmmm.

I was watching The Allman Brothers' live Beacon broadcast through Moogis last night, and I realized who Johnny Winter looks like...

Yes, I do believe that's him in Jeepers Creepers II

Blooby