What's your favourite old prog rock

Started by knniggits, March 09, 2009, 04:06:09 PM

Blooby

I think I have to go with the standard: "Close to The Edge" by Yes.  It's got it all.

In recent years, I've really enjoyed the V album by Spock's Beard.

Blooby

Greeny

Prog rock, like baldness, has been steadily creeping up on me with age. I sneered at the likes of Jethro Tull and Genesis in my teens and twenties, but now - as my own music and songwriting becomes more complex and diverse - I'm starting to hear wonderful things that used to pass me by. I even bought a Jethro Tull compilation last year. But don't tell my mates  :D

There are still a lot of bands mentioned above that I've heard of in bits and pieces, but have never explored in depth. I'm sure I will in time. My dad used to go on about King Crimson a lot, and I've always meant to check them out. I should do really... Robert Fripp did a lot of work with one of my heroes (David Sylvian), so there's a connection already.

Oldrottenhead

david sylvian secret of the beehives thats got to be prog.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Prive

Rush, i love prog rock, Rush.
But Rush isn't an old band, they're actual!!! every new record is a step forward, bands with 30+ years like them tend to sound like covers bands, yes yes, i love Rush, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush and others. ;)

I love this topic and Rush ;) ;) ;) ;)
Music, music and three times music!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

Greeny

Quote from: Prive on March 10, 2009, 04:50:48 AMRush, i love prog rock, Rush.
But Rush isn't an old band, they're actual!!! every new record is a step forward, bands with 30+ years like them tend to sound like covers bands, yes yes, i love Rush, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush and others. ;)

I love this topic and Rush ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hey, Prive!!!! Where have you been hiding out. I've missed you!  :)

For all the new members on here, Prive is one of the finest and most talented musicians and multi-instrumentalists you will ever meet...

3guitarsEddy

If my memory serves me correct 'Gentle Giant' evolved from Simon Dupree and the Big Sounds and I thing they hailed from the Soton area. I also believe they went to the states and thats when they hit the big time.

Regards

Eddy

Flash Harry

Prive! Welcome back. Where have you been?

I had a brief Steve Hillage period. Rainbow Dome Musick was played to death on my gramophone.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

The Reverend 48

I'm ashamed to say I have avoided prog rock all my life thinking it pretentious and lacking emotion :-[
But this site is getting me to question a lot of my musical preconceptions..maybe its time to open pandora's box...
but then I hear the Blues calling ;D..life is very short

guitarron

cant have a prog rock discussion without yes-all incarnations of them

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Here is the best site I have found on Prog Rock, lots of very good info for anyone exploring.
http://www.progarchives.com/

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand