What's your favourite old prog rock

Started by knniggits, March 09, 2009, 04:06:09 PM

knniggits

I've listened to Rush since i can remember. I'm into Jethro Tull and Elo. And more recently Dream Theatre and Opeth,both of which are heavily influenced by prog rock. After hearing Witchita's version of a Focus track. I wondered what other Bands i've missed out on. P.F.M. was suggested and van der graaf generator,both of which blow my mind! Any more prog i've missed  ;D
He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy!

StevieM

How old are you?  Hold on, I'll see if it's on your profile ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yep. 36?  Probably sh*t loads then ;D
It's likely you'll land up with a list that'll take you the next 5 years to catch up on ;)
Here's just one to start-- King Crimson.
Try listening to Planet Rock ( but their playlist gets a bit samey after a while!) or Kerrang on DAB/ Sky / online, or Split Infinity online.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Bluesberry

My personal favorite prog album is Jethro Tull-Thick as a Brick.  Also love Jethro Tull-Minstrel In the Gallery.  I also really love all original Genesis (Peter Gabriel era), The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, yes sir that one is a personal favorite for sure.  Rush of course (growing up in Canada) is special to me (Farewell to Kings- man what an album, still to this day).  I consider The Flaming Lips-At War with the Mystics to be pretty Proggy for a current album and I love it.  I guess I am pretty mainstream in my Prog tastes.  Great thread idea, I am looking forward to hear other opinions also.  ;D

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StevieM

How 'bout Tull  Broadsword And The Beast?
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

knniggits

I did have King Crimsons Red album somewhere but it never really did it for me,i'll check out lizards.
 Farewell to Kings,Hemispheres and Moving Pictures(witch hunt stands out for me"slow to judge,quick to anger,slow too understand,ignorance and predjudice and we walk hand in hand"some fine lyrics) i'd say were their best examples. If i wanted to get someone into Rush i'd suggest these first.
I'm fully versed on Jethro Tull and love their work.
I'll check out Flaming Lips,new band you say.
I'm looking at all your suggestions,thank god for youtube.
I guess you've all heard Dream Theatre's Octavarian,its on youtube and worth a look if you've got 20 min to spair  ;)

He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy!

Oldrottenhead

flaming lips have been around a while but are seen as an indy rock band but are prog in my honest opinion. check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFignuwzpuo
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann