"Hurricane Johnnie" - original by Ted

Started by Ted, February 02, 2014, 12:53:12 PM

Ted

Hurricane Johnnie
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I never properly recorded this one before. It was intended as an acoustic Folk Rock sort of thing with a couple of Jazz chords thrown in for pretense. I tried to make it a Punk thing, but the vocal melody (and delivery) just don't add up to Punk. So I reckon it's just some kind of Rock song now.

The lead vocals are kind of clipped, I know. I'm too lazy to redo them. If someone wants to, send me a PM.

Oh: Based on actual events.

Hurricane Johnnie
© 1998 Ted Johnson
I did everything.

Guitar, Bass, and Vocals recorded on Micro BR
Guitar Wah effect produced in Audacity
Drums, Keyboards, Mixing and Mastering on Garage Band for OSX

Who am I to complain
About Hurricane Johnnie
When she was an act of God?
Who am I to complain?

I never proved she lied.
Never even tried.

When I heard the warning
To board up all my windows,
Gather up my values,
And evacuate to safety.

I threw the door open
And begged her to blow in.
About the other men,
I'm sure she could explain.

I never proved she lied.
Never even tried.

She is an act of God. Johnnie.
Depending on your point of view, she is a slut,
Or she is a high-priestess spreading blessings of love
All along her pilgrimage.
Depending on your point of view,
She is a con artist, or she's an ascetic
With a beggar's bowl and a frequent-flier plan.

So who am I to complain
About Hurricane Johnnie
When she was an act of God?

She had me acting odd.
To prod or not to prod?
She was an act of God
So who am I to complain?

I never proved she lied
Never even tried.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

sounds fab lots going on here. has a sixties london underground vibe to it. and the vox are great, i never heard any clipping on my headphones.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Really digging those guitars - nice mix of punk and psychedelic, and they blend together surprisingly well! Also like how your vocal sits in the song timing - very interesting!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Picker

Oh man this is a good one.  That's going on my iPod for sure.  Great singing, outstanding guitar, drums, production.  Awesome!

recorder
Boss BR-800

Blooby

What great energy.  A wonderful listen. Loving that bass.

Blooby

Ferryman

Great Ted, love this, the rhythm guitar is sharp enough to slice bread with. Great song, nice pretentious chords in places. Excellent dynamics, loving the wacky wah work and the drums sound great, what did you use for them? Nice lyrics as well.

I didn't clipping on the vox that was noticeable, the bass did get a little boomy in places on my set up (eg 1:34 ish as you go a bit higher) but I'm being picky. It's a brilliant hurricane of a song, I hope the Nutrients will be performing it live (or did they and I missed it?).   

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

IanR

Hi  Ted, I really loved the sound of the song. Great chords, great bass and your vocals sounded good.  A really good overall vibe happening. 

cheers,,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ted

Quote from: Ferryman on February 03, 2014, 02:52:12 AMExcellent dynamics, loving the wacky wah work and the drums sound great, what did you use for them? Nice lyrics as well.

...the bass did get a little boomy in places on my set up (eg 1:34 ish as you go a bit higher) but I'm being picky. It's a brilliant hurricane of a song, I hope the Nutrients will be performing it live (or did they and I missed it?).   

Nigel: The drums are just one of the kits in GarageBand. I found a free library of MIDI drums, and tweaked some of the patterns and fills from that. (I didn't actually "perform" any of the drums on this song with my Korg Nanopad.)

Re. The boomy bass: I have two sets of headphones. One boosts the bass, so when I use those to mix, people tell me that the bass is mixed too low. When I use the other ones, I guess I get the opposite problem. The bass doesn't sound boomy to me.

The Nutrients are going to learn this one, but they are just now hearing this demo for the first time as well.

Thanks all for the feedback.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Jarle

This is a really cool song, a nice blend of styles delivered with energy. Love it.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Geir

I'm already on my 4th listen on this (3 times at work but forgot to comment)

Well this is just up my alley ... The unique Ted style with punchy razor sharp guitars and a fabulous bass line.

I'm a fan!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........