Br 800 for Br 80

Started by Groundy, January 22, 2014, 12:20:51 PM

Groundy

Anyone interested in swapping their Br80 for my Br800 just don't like it. Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

64Guitars

What don't you like about the BR-800, Alex? I think it's a better recorder than the BR-80. Of course, if extreme portability is important to you, the BR-80 wins on that score. But the BR-800 is pretty portable too. The BR-80 has USB 2.0 which is nice (versus the BR-800's slower USB 1.1). But I don't consider that a huge benefit. You can always use a USB card reader to transfer your files. I recently bought a USB 3.0 card reader which is much faster than the BR-80's USB 2.0. I suppose the BR-800's touch sensors could be a bit of a disadvantage, although I think most people would get used to them. But apart from these minor things, I think the BR-800 beats the BR-80 in many ways (more effects, real faders, control surface capabilities, etc.)

Anyway, I'm just curious what it is that you don't like about your BR-800 and how you hope the BR-80 will be better.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Groundy

You are probably right, I just thought the 80 might be more like my m Br a lot smaller and easy to use I have only used it 3 times in the last 18 months because it's a lot easier to use the m Br...Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

64Guitars

Quote from: groundy on January 22, 2014, 02:25:19 PMYou are probably right, I just thought the 80 might be more like my m Br a lot smaller and easy to use I have only used it 3 times in the last 18 months because it's a lot easier to use the m Br...Alex

Ah. But isn't the Micro BR easier only because you're already familiar with it? If you take the time to get as familiar with the BR-800 as you are with your Micro BR, I think you'll find it just as easy to use, if not easier. For example, isn't it easier to move a fader control on the BR-800 to adjust a track's level than to scroll to the mixer screen on the BR-80 and turn the wheel? Apart from the similar size, I think the BR-80 has as many differences from the Micro BR as the BR-800 does. So, either way, it won't be as familiar as your Micro BR until you've invested as much time and effort in learning it and using it as you have with the Micro BR. I think the best advice is to stop taking the easy way out by reaching for the Micro BR every time you want to record something. Instead, turn on the BR-800 and use it so you'll become as familiar with it as you are with the Micro BR. If there are things you don't understand or find awkward, study the manual and/or post your questions here.

Once you get familiar with the BR-800, I think you'll like it. And for those occasions when you want extreme portability, you'll still have your Micro BR. It's the best of both worlds.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Yea, I gotta think 64 is right. From what I gather the br 80 is quite different & you lose a few key functions. The one that bugs me the most is you cant adjust levels while bouncing or mastering!!! I say pick 4 songs you want to record & only use the br 800. Try to somewhat produce them, at least fill all 4 mono & 2 stereo tracks then mix & master. Don't rush by any means but try to knock them out & I bet buy the 4th one you will be quite comfortable. No cheating, you could use the mbr as an effects unit or a mic but all 4 tunes must be done on the br800! If you still want to trade I'll swap you my MR8, Pso2, my mbr & my favorite cardigan sweater (maybe not the sweater)!
Record On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Picker

I've owned both, and now that I've gotten used to the STUPID 2 stereo tracks which are actually only single mono tracks, I wish it had more of them.  I like using 2 tracks for a part like guitar or vocals, then mess with the stereo image....well technically I just pan left and right....then bounce them to a stereo track freeing up 2 mono's.

To be honest I wish the BR had more of the functions at your fingertips, like EQ and panning, but I can't imagine the Micro or BR80 being more functional this way.  I've also had a chance to mess with the Zoom unit and it seems like a great little product at a great price point.

recorder
Boss BR-800

chip

Quote from: Picker on January 22, 2014, 09:54:06 PMI've owned both, and now that I've gotten used to the STUPID 2 stereo tracks which are actually only single mono tracks, I wish it had more of them.  I like using 2 tracks for a part like guitar or vocals, then mess with the stereo image....well technically I just pan left and right....then bounce them to a stereo track freeing up 2 mono's.

To be honest I wish the BR had more of the functions at your fingertips, like EQ and panning, but I can't imagine the Micro or BR80 being more functional this way.  I've also had a chance to mess with the Zoom unit and it seems like a great little product at a great price point.

Hi Picker. The top paragraph states the two stupid stereo tracks which are mono. If this is the BR 800 we are talking about? I thought it had two stereo tracks that could not be unpaired. Am I missing something here?

As for the original posters dilemma, I have the BR80 and have often pondered the BR800 especially now I know you can mess with faders when mastering??. The BR80 is a fine little machine and having owned the previous incarnation I can only say that the transition was very easy from one to the other. So I guess I'm saying the learning curve as far as going from the MBR to the BR800 should be very similar to me going from the MBR to the BR80. Of course the BR80 is similar in size so that may be easier for you to relate to just because of that reason. Like others have pointed out, you should give it more time and if you still can't get round it come back and ask or change it.

On another note I may consider a swap with yourself but, the BR80 is a fine little machine and one I am very fond of.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

cuthbert

I appreciate the discussion of the merits of each recorder - to me, it's a matter of personal preference. I haven't had a chance to dig deeply with my BR-800 yet, but I found the BR-80 to be a a mixed blessing…lately, I've been using my old Micro BR, just for its simplicity (but still not enjoying the need to bounce so frequently - because I double-track so much).

On another note, the topic of this post (swapping recorders) makes me a bit uncomfortable. We have a no-advertising policy here on Songcrafters, and offering a swap is a transaction, which isn't that far away from actual selling. I wouldn't want to encourage posts like that on Songcrafters, so anybody interested in swapping should probably continue their via PM, and let's keep this discussion to the merits of each recorder. Thanks, folks!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Picker

Quote from: chip on January 23, 2014, 10:11:15 AMHi Picker. The top paragraph states the two stupid stereo tracks which are mono. If this is the BR 800 we are talking about? I thought it had two stereo tracks that could not be unpaired. Am I missing something here?

As far as I know they can not be unpaired, other than by recording and bouncing....kinda.  There is only 1 fader, 1 pan, 1 EQ, etc,  each for 5/6 and for 7/8.  So for example if you bounce a mono vocal track from track 1 to 7/8 Pan centered, you would still only have a mono track.  It would be shown in the display as 2 tracks (stereo 7/8), but it's not really stereo because both tracks are centered from your bounce.  You can use the pan for 7/8, but it would pan both 7/8 to left or right; functionly this is the same as having a mono track.  So I guess you could use the Pan as sort of a fader split.......by turning the pan, to the left, you would make the right side of the stereo track quieter.......Damn, on my most recent song post I re-mastered the guitars, because I thought the right channel was too loud, I never thought of just using the Pan....I'm not positive this would work, will have to try it.  

So if this does work, then the trick is (for example - 2 guitar parts) to record one guitar to track 1, and another to track 2, pan them maximum left and right, then master them to 7/8.  By doing this you will have recorded track 1 to track 7 and track 2 to track 8, and I guess the Pan would act as a volume balance between the two stereo tracks.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Groundy

Well 64 I think you may be right I spent about 5 hours in all yesterday, I started from scratch with my 800, The first thing I did was to put an 8GB card in it, and took some time to go into detail with the manual,
As you say itsprobably because I am familiar with the MBR, so sorry to waste everyones time but I have decided to give it a go for a couple of months and see what happens.
Thanks to everyone for your help....Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR