Anybody Else Seen 'Inside Llewyn Davis'?

Started by cuthbert, January 13, 2014, 11:27:48 AM

cuthbert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xXOtARnli8

Went to see this film last night with my girlfriend (she hated it with a passion). It's a Coen Brothers film, but not a comedy. Well, I guess it could be labeled a very, very dark comedy...

I'm not overly familiar with the folk scene in Greenwich Village in the early 60s, but it seemed fairly authentic and the actor who played the lead performed all his own songs, which I thought was pretty impressive. His character is supposed to be something of a dick personality (and at times he really was), and there seems to be some Bob Dylan references here and there, but of course it's not a Dylan biopic (in fact "Dylan" makes a cameo as a newcomer playing in one of the clubs that Llewyn Davis plays).

Anyway, I thought it made a clear statement about artistic integrity versus the business side of music, as well as about some of the tangles of personal relationships. It also probably hits very close to home for most people, even those not making music. Wondering what you thought about it, if you saw it?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

dying to see it, but what did you think of it. like it hate it indifferent?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Overall, I liked it - but I'm not really bugged by characters making poor choices or by having issues unresolved before the film ends. Seems that twists like that really bug some people...   ;D

I'd like to see it again. I find that movies that I don't love at first tend to have a longer shelf life.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hilary

I'd love to see it too, I'm a fan of Cary Mulligan (An Education) - apparently she's in a folk duo with Justin Timberlake :) I don't think it's my husband's cup of tea though!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

danieldesete

Best film I saw for ages, goosbumps all way through.
the film was more or less inspired by the life of Dave Van Ronk.
Hurry to see it in a decent cinema, the Coen brothers know how to hold a camera, and the actor has a real golden voice. (guatemalan actor : oscar isaac)
My wife liked it pretty much too, especialy when they laugh about poor Irish singers in aran jumpers, singing brendan behan's song... I was thinking of that one for traditional fest, but now I can't...

Daniel

hou hou ha ha

Oldrottenhead

whilst we are on the topic of movies, may i recommend "the book thief"    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816442/  i saw it a few days ago and it's still running through my head. most likely will inspire a song. not a music movie tho.  excuse me digressing.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Gnasty

Didn`tknow of this one. Thanks for sharing. I love any music movies or documentaries /rockumentaries. Fiction or
non-fiction.

Quote from: cuthbert on January 13, 2014, 11:27:48 AMWent to see this film last night with my girlfriend (she hated it with a passion).

You poor soul..lol Watch Airheads with her. She`ll like that one!  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

cuthbert

Quote from: Gnasty on January 13, 2014, 02:35:19 PMYou poor soul..lol Watch Airheads with her. She`ll like that one!  ;D

Haha! She might, she might…

Normally she likes these Coen Brothers movies, but she's not liked anything by them since 'No Country for Old Men'. Oh well...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Gnasty

Hey I think Airheads is way funnier than Wayne`s World.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Hook

I do want to see this but I'm often left unsatisfied by The Coen's movies. They usually have all the right elements but don't always hit all the marks. It will be a renter for me but thanks for the reviews, it looks promising.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely