Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

IanR

Jim,

They all heroes of mine.

I often think about Roddy Frame, Ron Sexsmith, Tom Waits, Neil Finn, Nick Lowe AND Elvis Costello when I am writing a song.

They take the art of "not taking yourself too seriously" very seriously.   ;)

But after having scanned down the list of you tube clips I have just one thought: There's no point going on!

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

steelguitar

Jim,
all the videos here show us great songs with a great art of songwriting, for sure.

On songcrafters, there are a lot of talents, of amateur musicians writing music, lyrics, songs.

But I am agree with you, the use of the word "songwriter" is, for the mind (of a lot of persons), for professional musicians... but the quality of the songs are not always a fact...

In my heart, the word "songwriter" is reserved for great musicians (known or unknown) as, for the known ones : Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, John Lennon, Paul Simon, Serge Gainsbourg, Tom Waits, JJ Cale etc

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Hook

Everyone of these cats has been inspirational to me over the years. I might have added Elvis Costello in his own right but "Please Call Me, Baby" is without a doubt that little caramel heart they put on the foam of one of those fancy pants coffee drinks. Great progression of videos ORH!

Here in Tampa the word "professional" gets tossed around a lot. If you look at the adds for musicians every start up band thinks they have pro band, pro environment or wants pro gear, Pro look, pro attitude, pro gigs,etc. A professional musician to me is someone who steadily has made a decent wage for there musical offerings. I have been a professional entertainer for 13 years but only in the last 5 or so have I truly been a professional musician. "Songwriter" to me however seems pretty cut and dry, one who writes songs. It's not about the good or bad songs, it's about writing them. I've been a songwriter for 27 years, not always a good one but a songwriter none the less. Amateur, yes because I've  made very little $$ for my songs, all my paychecks come from performing, but still  I'm still a "songwriter". My dream, if it's not too late to have one, is for my career to at some point make a switch from performing to writing professionally but that continues to evade me.
When I lived in Nashville round 13 years ago, I was just starting to get invited into some "Writers Rounds", similar to the Songwriter Circle videos but basically it's Nashville's level above open mics. Open mics are 2 songs- done, while a "writers round" is a scheduled 3 person line up, usually containing at last one professional songwriter, for about 45 min. Each person plays one tune, down the line 3 or 4 times. I had been invited & did about 3 or 4 before the opportunity I couldn't pass up came to move back to Tampa. I felt very confidant to sit on stage and play a tune with any writer then & I still do.
I do agree  Jean-Sébastien, that there are great songwriters whom I admire but Will I.Am( from the Black Eyed Peas) is one of the most successful songwriters of the last 10 years & well $$ or not not, if he's a songwriter than so am I!
Write On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hilary

I get where you are coming from James but we are all just giving it a go. Our songwriting is an expression of ourselves in some form and I say just be true to yourself.

Jean-Sébastien - there are very few Songcrafters here who can appreciate just how glorious your lyrics are - you are gifted.

This place (and the songs shared here) is inspirational. It pushes me out of my comfort zone and challenges me to be better. Sure, there are times when I think, why should I even bother recording anything (because my songs are all a bit pants) but life isn't a competition and I don't compare myself to others.

Life's a journey, I say vive la différence!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

steelguitar

Quote from: Hilary on January 12, 2014, 06:31:48 AMI get where you are coming from James but we are all just giving it a go. Our songwriting is an expression of ourselves in some form and I say just be true to yourself.

Jean-Sébastien - there are very few Songcrafters here who can appreciate just how glorious your lyrics are - you are gifted.

This place (and the songs shared here) is inspirational. It pushes me out of my comfort zone and challenges me to be better. Sure, there are times when I think, why should I even bother recording anything (because my songs are all a bit pants) but life isn't a competition and I don't compare myself to others.

Life's a journey, I say vive la différence!

Hey Hillary !
I was surprised to see how you talked about me . A big thank you, I am sincerely touched by your compliment....

I am agree with you about the songwriting as an expression of the individuality! The goal is to progress, whatever the level where we are.

When I was saying that there were talents, I was thinking about a lot of persons on songcrafters, but especially the author of the thread himself (Jim / oldrottenhead) : for me he is a great amateur songwriter...

Vive le voyage and long life to all the differences between us!

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

T.C. Elliott

The problem I have with putting out some of the best songs in our lifetime and saying, in essence, you're not a songwriter until you write a song like this is that it belittles (unintentionally) those of us who create art that may not reach the subjective (although widely held) standard of these songs. If the intention is to get us to appreciate great art so that we can strive to achieve it (which is what I think this thread is for) then I can understand the value. But if it leads to one songwriter to give up creating even for one day because they feel they are being told they aren't a songwriter until they create a masterpiece then I think we are making a mistake.

I'm not deep into the meaning of life, but I believe that the act of creation is one of the best ways to discover our true self. To discover and reveal our true nature. It is meditation, relaxation, struggle, discovery and fear conquering all in one package. So when we watch these videos, or discover other great songs, please do so from the perspective of what is possible. What YOU will be able to accomplish if you continue to wrestle with the art of song. And who knows, maybe one of our songs would be widely regarded as a masterpiece if performed by a master.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London