What is your worst album purchase

Started by bruno, January 09, 2014, 02:54:11 PM

bruno

So bad its genius - this is mine by a clear mile. The thing that makes this funny is that this isn't even trying to be bad. Bought this one as a teenager in WHSmiths for 25p, "All Inspite Of Harry's Toenail" by Gnidrolog - made me laugh on a regular basis, and still does. What's your classic :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cglAk-JXq4

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Flash Harry

Beatles 'Blue Album'

I borrowed it off a friend, scratched their copy, had to buy them a new one. Took it home, played it, scratched it, lost the receipt. Had to buy another - all on the bus to town to the record shop. It was a nightmare over a few weeks. 

I still don't have a good copy of this album.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mike_S

My worst was also one of my best... let me explain. When i was very young (I think about 10 or eleven) I bought Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants. I even remember coming back with it from the record shop strapped to the carrier on the back of my bicycle. I loved it and played it over and over for about two years and eventually as my musical tastes changed / evolved (thank god!), i realised one day that it must actually be the biggest pile of shite known to man and a complete embarrasment to own. At this point i actually took it to the garden and tried to break it. I bent it over and over and it wouldn't break. Dunno what type of vinyl it was but it was one tough mutha. The only way to break it was to throw it like a frisbee against something hard, must have been a wall, but it broke eventually.
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Mike_S

recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

a bit like flash, i got the yes album, tales of topographic oceans, not on vinyl but on 8 track, remember them.my dad was visiting family in canada and brought back an 8 trak player with built in fm radio tuner. just as radio 1 started going stereo on saturday afternoons with fluff freeman. the sound off the unit was fabulous. my dad had a few 8 track cassettes but was all opera and country western.

so i bought topographic oceans. the machine chewed up about 9 or 10 copies as the album was so long and the tape i think was too thin or whatever.

at the local record store, every other day i would take back a chewed tape get it replaced until eventually the store owner pleaded with me to get it in vinyl and i could choose any other lp in the store for free.

that aside i was a big fan of yes and still am, but that album stunk big time.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: oldrottenhead on January 09, 2014, 05:09:28 PMnot on vinyl but on 8 track, remember them.

I not only remember them but I have a few boxes of them down in the basement. A lot of them are quadraphonic. Some good stuff too - Pink Floyd, Super Session (Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield & Stephen Stills), Grand Funk, etc. I've got several 8-track players too. One of them is quadraphonic. One of these days, I'd like to digitize some of those tapes so I can listen to them again.

One of my first stereo recorders was an 8-track. I've still got a tape I recorded with it of me jamming with a bunch of friends one weekend. I must digitize that one some day.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

I've always been a huge Hendrix fan. When I was a teenager, I bought this album by "The Purple Fox". ::)  I knew it wasn't Hendrix but I thought I'd give it a try. It sucked.

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1343565

I've also bought a few of those compilation albums which claim to be by the original artists. But they turn out to be re-recorded 40 years later and don't sound at all like the original recordings that I remember. I hate that.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

i bet you bought it in a motorway service station.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

phantasm777

have a few hundred 8 tracks left myself, including the late 60's one with the hole in it where later would be the wheel and a 8 track player recorder.
some of the worse lps I ever had are when bands completely changed their styles, too many to mention. and I also hated those - later remade by the original artists lps, 8 tracks, which never sound the same as the original.

kenny mac

Mustard by Roy wood was a bit of a stinker.
He played every instrument on it and even painted the cover and after loving The move that then evolved in E.l.O I bought this and to me it sounded terribly recorded etc.
I was extremely dissapointed.