Apple iBook G4 Laptop???????

Started by Hook, January 04, 2014, 08:35:52 AM

Hook

So here is another cragslist find.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/sys/4243919333.html

I know nothing about apple computers but have heard that video editing is quite easy on them & I have an idea about a new video series but I don't want to use windows movie maker.  He says he's willing to trade for a working dryer, which I happen to have one sitting in my garage...is this a good deal? Any opinions would be helpful!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

thetworegs

I have one it's getting old now it works great with iMovie and  GarageBand And Photoshop 2 i use it when im away on holiday you can get them over here now for around £50. I put an extra 1gb of ram in and that improved the speed quite a bit but a great handy little machine.......I say if your not using the dryer get another gadget.....I haven't had a problem with mine and I think I've had it nearly 10 years at a guess now......

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Gnasty

I was in tears reading that one! lol ..Sorry I don't know anything about the Apple iBook but I find it funny that he wants a chainsaw or a dryer and the chainsaw is first on the list? Screw drying my clothes first, I want to cut things! haha!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Hilary

Hmmm you want to swap with a guy that wants a chainsaw - what could possibly go wrong!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

alfstone

Hook, as usually you pay what you get.

I mean that quite probably you will not able to use any actual Mac software on it, since today's Macs are completely different machines, and the software is NOT retro-compatible. You could use only the pre-installed software, nothing else.

Would you buy a PC with Windows 98 (great OS anyway) TODAY?

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

cuthbert

The G4 is an obsolete processor…they haven't been in Macintosh computers in at least 7 years. All Apple computers in the last 7 years have Intel processors. How this might affect you is that it limits which OS you can run - OSX 10.5.8 is the last one that supports PowerPC processors.

It also limits which applications you can run. I think you'd be okay with the latest version of Audacity and other apps which still support PowerPC processors, but you may have to run older versions of software for many other audio or video applications. And the list of applications that support only PowerPC or both PowerPC and Intel processors is shrinking every year.

Still, if you don't mind a slower system running older software, you could do worse for $100. Just understand what you're getting for your money.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on January 04, 2014, 08:35:52 AMI know nothing about apple computers but have heard that video editing is quite easy on them & I have an idea about a new video series but I don't want to use windows movie maker.

It's not the Apple computer that makes video editing easy; it's the iMovie software that comes with the Apple operating system. However, video editing requires a fast processor and lots of RAM. So I don't think a 10-year old computer would be the best choice for video editing. You'd probably be much better off using your PC which, presumably, is newer, faster, and has more RAM. There are lots of video editing programs available for Windows. Some are complicated and some are easy. Some are expensive and some are inexpensive or even free. You just need to find the program that's best for you and learn how to use it.

Here's a list of video editing software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_editing_software

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Thanks for all your input my friends, I think I'll hold off on this one. I going to check out that link 64, thanks!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely